Sampling synth / keyboard sounds for Kemper

andyg_prs

Hi,

I would love to have synth / keyboard sounds on my Kemper profiling amp. The way the Kemper profiles is by creating a bunch of sci-fi like warbling sounds that are output through a standard mono guitar jack that you feed through your amp/effects and then back into the Kemper. How the source audio is processed determines the resulting profile.

I'd love to push the source audio through a synth or Mac......but I assume to do that the analogue audio would have to be converted into midi commands first? The rest would be the same as before.

The question is, how can I achieve that? Some people have said it's impossible but that feels defeatist....

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy

I think I get what you are trying to do in profiling a synth, but I don't think you will get the result you are expecting.

First off, converting the output of the Kemper into MIDI isn't going to help. MIDI is essentially a digital piano roll of note-on/note off, pitch, and duration commands. It allows for other commands too but those are the most commonly used MIDI commands.

The premise of the Kemper is that it is analyzing the audio path through a given device. So you need to stay in the audio realm.

You might be able to "profile" a synth that has audio inputs, like a Moog Voyager or Little Phatty or similar. But it's not going to give the same result as processing audio through a monosynth, or "play" like a monosynth. The audio input on monosynths usually allows you access to the synth's filter section, which may be modulated by various sources.

What you wouldn't be able to profile is the oscillators, which are the sound sources in synths. I suppose that you could profile the effect of the oscillators as a modulation source on the filter, but that's not going to give you a synth "sound".

You can probably program some of the FX in the Kemper to do some synth-y sounds. I would start with an envelope filter and then add a ring modulator.

If you can get your hands on a Moog MF-107 Freq Box you might be able to profile some of that weirdness, but I think it would take a lot of trial-and-error to get something useable.

Last edited:
Back