Roland JV1010 & Desktop Music

Kev Hurst

Hi,

After much research, I've just purchased a Roland JV1010 & Roland PC-300 MIDI/USB keyboard and controller.

I've played around with the module using the controller as a connected keyboard, and using headphones, and I'm very impressed with the sounds.

However, here's my problem. I: -

a. connected the controller to my PC using the USB port,
b. conected the JV1010 to the controller as follows -
i. JV1010 MIDI IN
ii. Controller MIDI OUT

My problem is that I cannot hear any sounds from the PC. The contoller's manual suggests that the above connection should be sufficient to operate the sound module. However, the JV1010's manual suggests that the Module requires the use of two MIDI cables, one to connect the MIDI OUT connector of the MIDI interface with the JV1010's MIDI IN connector and the other to connect the MIDI IN connector of the interface with the JV1010's MIDI OUT connector.

The PC-300 has only one MIDI OUT connector. Consequently, I'm now wondering if I need to buy a separate MIDI interface (e.g. a MIDIMAN Midisport USB 2x2) to be able to hear my module. If so, does the keyboard/contoller then connect to the second USB port on my PC or could it also connect to the MIDIMAN?

I'm very inexperienced with all things MIDI and I'm trying to make sense of what should be a logical system. However, I'm aware that this post is beggining to ramble, so your collective/expert advice would be welcome.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin, perhaps I am reading this wrong, but-

You cant hear your module through the pc?? You shouldnt. Midi doesnt have anything to do with audio, so to hear your module, you have to plug it in to a receiver or mixer setup. The usb port is just for midi information.

Are you trying to play sounds off a soundcard, like soundblaster? If so, a midi-to-joystick cable might be the ticket, about $20 US.

Back