Roland CP-40 tone to midi

GeoffB17

Anyone ever used this device. I got one AGES ago, and played with it a bit, but couldn't get it to do anything helpful.

Not quite sure just what I had in mind at the time in the 1980s.

I think I was thinking that I could hum, or whistle, or even (God forbid) sing a tume into it, and get the midi events, and then use that basic information to create a midi file.

I have a piece of software called WATCH which will monitor the midi port and show/store/capture everything that comes in as midi, and this certainly did do what it was supposed to do.

BUT, clearly there was a massive gap between the accuracy of the CP-40, and the detail at which it 'captured' everything, and the accuracy of the sounds I was making. This resulted in a flood of midi data that was all over the place, no consistent notes, no consistent lengths. FAR too much info to do anything with, and clearly the CP-40 was picking up every slightest wobble in my noises.

There are settings for 'Threshold' etc, but I couldn't get any help there.

I guess I'm just musically hopeless?

I was just looking at a YouTube video, supposedly someone playing a sax into a CP-40, but the video does NOT show the CP-40, and I've no idea what he was actually doing with the CP, but he seemed to be getting something useful out of it?

I'm thinking I need to have another play - anyone got any suggestions?

Geoff

Back