Record on Input

inkline

You know those old handheld audio recorders that only go on when there's sound to record?

I'm wondering if there's something like that for MIDI.

I sit around for hours and sometimes randomly play on my keyboard, sometimes do other things, it's right in front of my computer desk. So I'm wondering if there's recording software that can be set up to monitor for input, and then turn itself off after a bit of silence, turn itself on when there's input again.

Right now I'm temporarily using Reaper. Will buy Kontakt when it's next on sale. Don't know what features it has, haven't looked deeply into it, getting it for the samples that require it.

More likely, you have a program that will recognize a controller function for record. The same with MIDI hardware. It's on and set, but it's waiting for record start message

Yeah that sounds like just the thing. If I can simply record/play a keypress that'd be convenient enough.

Can't seem to find a way to make Reaper do that. Boy do I hope Kontakt goes on sale next month so I can check it out.

Good idea. I actually have one. Overlooked it.

Doesn't work. But there ought to be a way to make it link to Reaper. If I can't find it buried in the menus I'll email their tech support.

In order for the controller to work, reaper will have to be on and a track routed and armed to record at all times. Since your keyboard is right in front of the computer, why would you need a separate controller to start reaper? You already have a couple of them, the mouse and the computer keyboard. You are making this much harder than it has to be.

If your instrument was on the other side of the room, I could see having the controller...

Seriously, if I can do something in one button click instead of a mousing around and a couple, I am very much pleased!

Ctrl R works for me in Reaper

But you should be able to fins something that will act as a remote control transport

Seriously, if I can do something in one button click instead of a mousing around and a couple, I am very much pleased!

Well, many wait for a boob-puter to boot and load a OS, the bring up a sequencer, then dig around in GB of samples for a good one. How long does that take ?. On trick is to use GM for composing. Either way, with hardware it can be pretty simple. Turn on sequencer, enter your GM instrument, select track, hit record button

Back