Quick Question

i'll keep this simple and i apologise if i dont explain clearly.
midi input. ....when you see this on for example a midi sound module
it means that you are INPUTTING from another midi device via a midi cable..
a good example would be midi input on a computer. thus you would connect say a midi cable to the midi input (assuming you have one) of a computer
from a MIDI OUTPUT of a master keyboard which would allow you to record on the pc what you play on the master keyboard. assuming you have midi recording software installed on the pc.
midi output...as the term implies you are OUTPUTTING from the midi device,
in the example above. OUTPUTTING from the master keyboard to the pc.
but you could also just have a master kbd with no sounds where you connect a midi cable from its MIDI OUTPUT to the MIDI INPUT of say a midi sound module which could be another keyboard with sounds in it OR a standalone midi module with no keyboard.
midi thru...the idea of midi thru is to send the incoming midi data stream (coming into MIDI INPUT) back out again. think of it basically as echoing
back via the midi thru port.
in most cases normally you use midi input and output. at least i do anyway.
one use of THRU would be in the following situation.
lets say you have a 5 midi sound modules (with no keyboard) and a seperate
master kbd (with no sound generators). thru could be used to link the 5
together like a daisy chain affair. ive never done this but in this case i think you would go master kbd midi out into midi input of module 1, and connect the thru of module 1 to the midi input of module 2 etc etc. BUT there is an easier way. just connect the master kbd to a midi SPLITTER BOX that has multiple midi outs on it you comnnect to the midi inputs of each standalone module. this is how most folks i believe do it.
hope this helps
ps. if you are using a PC with midi connectors on/added .
just connect kbd midi out to pc midi in. THEN midi out of pc to the midi splitter box driving the midi inputs of the respective standalone sound modules. when recording from the master keyboard make sure the midi input receive channel you set in your software for the track MATCHES
the midi send channel of the master kbd. (drums are normally channel 10).
NOTE...if you get no sound on a outboard midi unit connected to the pc,
check its midi receive channel matches the send channel number.
for example if the drums are ch 10 and the outboard is a drum machine. set its midi receive to ch 10.
hth.

Back