Problems with MIDI keyboard, no signal in DAW.

Do you have any other MIDI hardware device you can hook up to check the keyboard output, like a drum machine or synth module?

No I don't. I'm just starting out in home recording. I'll maybe have to try and bring my Tascam to a music store and try another keyboard.

Insert a VSTi into the Reaper track so that your keyboard has something to "play".

Last edited:
Insert a VSTi into the Reaper track so that your keyboard has something to "play". Also (don't know if this has been covered already) hit the "monitor" button on the track you're trying to record on.

Insert a VSTi into the Reaper track so that your keyboard has something to "play". Also (don't know if this has been covered already) hit the "monitor" button on the track you're trying to record on.

I've tried all of that but with no luck.
But shouldn't I at least see the signal on my track's meter (the little red line) coming from my keyboard even if I have no sounds selected ?

I doubt this is it but...

In my (properly functioning) Reaper/Midi setup, in Preferences/MIDI Devices window, I do NOT have "Restrict MIDI hardware output to single thread" ticked... (???)

Right click on the record button on the channel your working on. Do you have the following chosen?

Monitor: Input

Record: Input (audio or MIDI)

Input: MIDI: Tascam 122

Switch USB inputs on your pc. Change USB cables. I've had both of these moves solve frustrating issues in the past.

fingerscrossed.gif

If MIDI-OX doesn't show that any MIDI signals are being received, then I doubt it's anything in Reaper [edit: assuming the desired MIDI input source was selected in MIDI-OX]. It seems more likely that it's something to do with the installation of the Tascam's driver, or possibly the configuration of the Tascam on the computer (if there is any such setup to be done) [edit: or the MIDI cable connecting the keyboard to the Tascam, or the MIDI settings within the keyboard].

Hello...

I've read through all the responses, and no one has addressed the Korg SP 250 itself....I'm thinking it is the culprit and not set to transmit properly. My Korg TRITON Extreme has and External and Internal setting for its sequencer, and only transmits when on External. Looks like you don't have an onboard sequencer, but maybe it's a similar issue..

Have you checked the Manual for LOCAL SETTINGS On versus Off? These settings on Local On and Local Off may apply to you. It also appears you need to have a dedicated MIDI Channel which you may not have set.....Here's what I found online in your Manual.....

Selecting The Transmission Channel

"The standard MIDI has 16 separate channels available for transmission and reception of data. SP-250 always receives on all 16 channels, and transmits on a single channel. To transmit data from the SP-250, you need to choose which of the 16 channels you wish to transmit data on."

In any case....I would check the keyboard transmission, since you are stumped by the other aspects of your chain......

Just a thought.....

Hello...

I've read through all the responses, and no one has addressed the Korg SP 250 itself....I'm thinking it is the culprit and not set to transmit properly. My Korg TRITON Extreme has and External and Internal setting for its sequencer, and only transmits when on External. Looks like you don't have an onboard sequencer, but maybe it's a similar issue..

Have you checked the Manual for LOCAL SETTINGS On versus Off? These settings on Local On and Local Off may apply to you. It also appears you need to have a dedicated MIDI Channel which you may not have set.....Here's what I found online in your Manual.....

Selecting The Transmission Channel

"The standard MIDI has 16 separate channels available for transmission and reception of data. SP-250 always receives on all 16 channels, and transmits on a single channel. To transmit data from the SP-250, you need to choose which of the 16 channels you wish to transmit data on."

In any case....I would check the keyboard transmission, since you are stumped by the other aspects of your chain......

Just a thought.....

I've read the manual and it's says that when I turn on my keyboard it automatically sets the transmission channel to channel 1 with local on and receives on all 16 channels. I tried turning local to off, but it didn't change anything. I just don't hear the notes when I play them on my keyboard.

Here is the screen shot from the manual concerning MIDI:
Untitled 4.jpg

Last edited:
What are the settings shown when you right-click on the track's "record" button? Make sure the "Input: MIDI" has your interface selected, and not the "Virtual MIDI Keyboard"

Aarrrgggghhh...

Have you tried over on the Reaper Forums ?

Have you tried all the stupid things like turning Reaper off, turning the interface on 1st, THEN starting Reaper? I've also heard of issues wherein certain interfaces have to be turned on before you turn on your pc!

Me? I have to turn on my MIDI patchbay first, then my interface 2nd, my midi keyboard 3rd and THEN start Reaper.
It will not work if I do it any other order.

Hang in there, we'll figure it out.

Last edited:
The "Local" on/off setting shouldn't have any effect on the MIDI output, it should just determine whether or not the keyboard produces sounds in response to whatever you play on the keyboard.

Some keyboards (e.g., my Yamahas) have a "Keyboard Out" on/off setting that determines whether or not the keyboard transmits MIDI data as it's being played, but I don't see anything like that in the SP-250's manual-- it should be outputting MIDI data without having to be "told to."

One way to test the MIDI cable(s) might be to plug one end in the keyboard's MIDI OUT and the other end in the keyboard's MIDI IN, turn off Local, and see if playing on the keys produces any sounds. After checking one cable, go ahead and check the other one. If the keyboard plays sounds when you hit the keys (with Local off), that eliminates anything to do with the keyboard or the MIDI cables.

The "Local" on/off setting shouldn't have any effect on the MIDI output, it should just determine whether or not the keyboard produces sounds in response to whatever you play on the keyboard.

Some keyboards (e.g., my Yamahas) have a "Keyboard Out" on/off setting that determines whether or not the keyboard transmits MIDI data as it's being played, but I don't see anything like that in the SP-250's manual-- it should be outputting MIDI data without having to be "told to."

One way to test the MIDI cable(s) might be to plug one end in the keyboard's MIDI OUT and the other end in the keyboard's MIDI IN, turn off Local, and see if playing on the keys produces any sounds. After checking one cable, go ahead and check the other one. If the keyboard plays sounds when you hit the keys (with Local off), that eliminates anything to do with the keyboard or the MIDI cables.

I tried doing what you suggested by connecting each cables one end in MIDI IN and the other the end in MIDI OUT and by turning local off and it produced sounds. So I think the cables and the keyboard are alright.

Which driver did you install for the Tascam, and have you updated the firmware? A new Windows driver (version 2.05) was released last month, and there have been some firmware updates:

Product: US-122MKII | TASCAM

Edit: From the manual, it looks like there's a screen you can pull up in the Control Panel that shows the firmware and driver versions. Can you post a screenshot of that?

Aarrrgggghhh...

Have you tried over on the Reaper Forums ?

Have you tried all the stupid things like turning Reaper off, turning the interface on 1st, THEN starting Reaper? I've also heard of issues wherein certain interfaces have to be turned on before you turn on your pc!

Me? I have to turn my midi keyboard on first, then my MIDI patchbay, then my interface, THEN start Reaper.
It will not work if I do it any other order.

Hang in there, we'll figure it out.

Thanks for the support man :) I just posted in the Reaper forums. Maybe the people over there might give me more insight with their knowledge of the software.

One day, this will be solved.

Back