Problem connecting MIDI keyboard to computer

cmcginnis214

Hi, so I'm brand new to the world of MIDI controller keyboards but I've been working tirelessly trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

To start, I'm using a Fatar Studiologic SL-880 MIDI controller. For my connection I use the iConnectivity mio (1x1 USB MIDI interface) driver is up to date according to the iConnectivity iConfig app. Finally, I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop and Cockos Reaper. The keyboard has two MIDI outputs (one of which the mio's MIDI-in is plugged into as instructed and the mio's MIDI-out is not connected to anything).

Reaper will detect "mio" under input: MIDI, and I'll select all channels, Record: output will be set to MIDI, monitor input will be enabled and record will be armed. For my VSTi I will use 4Front Piano and in preferences>MIDI Devices I will have mio set to Enabled+Control under "MIDI inputs to make available"

That's about as far as I've gotten and yet when I try to play, there will be no response from the program whatsoever. I have also tried Synthesia and in the settings it will detect "mio" under "Music Input", I will select "Use this device", and still when I press any of the keys to set up the "Note Range" there is no response.

So what's up?

Hi, so I'm brand new to the world of MIDI controller keyboards but I've been working tirelessly trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

To start, I'm using a Fatar Studiologic SL-880 MIDI controller. For my connection I use the iConnectivity mio (1x1 USB MIDI interface) driver is up to date according to the iConnectivity iConfig app. Finally, I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop and Cockos Reaper. The keyboard has two MIDI outputs (one of which the mio's MIDI-in is plugged into as instructed and the mio's MIDI-out is not connected to anything).

Reaper will detect "mio" under input: MIDI, and I'll select all channels, Record: output will be set to MIDI, monitor input will be enabled and record will be armed. For my VSTi I will use 4Front Piano and in preferences>MIDI Devices I will have mio set to Enabled+Control under "MIDI inputs to make available"

That's about as far as I've gotten and yet when I try to play, there will be no response from the program whatsoever. I have also tried Synthesia and in the settings it will detect "mio" under "Music Input", I will select "Use this device", and still when I press any of the keys to set up the "Note Range" there is no response.

So what's up?

"Output will be set to midi".

This is the bit you need to change. If you have set "Midi hardware output" to the mio midi, then change it to "<no output>" to prevent the midi signal bypassing the VSTi and instead trying to drive the keyboard.

To make life easy for yourself, start a new project.

Go to "Insert" then "virtual instrument on new track". This will create a track all set to receive, monitor and record midi. It will also open a box in which the available VSTIs are listed. Pick4Front and you are ready to go.

To make life easy for yourself, start a new project.

Go to "Insert" then "virtual instrument on new track". This will create a track all set to receive, monitor and record midi. It will also open a box in which the available VSTIs are listed. Pick4Front and you are ready to go.

I did as instructed and still no response from Reaper. Since mio is still being detected, I'm wondering if there could be something wrong with the keyboard itself (and/or the mio connector) seeing as Synthesia also fails to detect any notes.

Also, when I downloaded 4Front it came with two VSTi's named: "4Front Piano Module (4Front)" and "4Front Piano Module (x64) (4Front)". I've tried both together as well as separately.

Back