Problem with Addictive Keys in a live recording situation.

Greetings all,
My son is a budding musician. I am the tech guy. I have a small and medium size PA that we use for his gigs. We usually record his events (Reaper) and run his vocal and epuipment through Waves Multirack and to Reaper at the same time. I use a hot rod pc laptop and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. He has an older laptop on stage that he uses to run addictive keys for his piano sounds. We have to use a midi usb interface because he has an old Yamaha P90 he uses for a controller. He has an M-Audio M Track plus because it has midi i/o as well as digital i/o. Everything has been working great in rehearsal till a couple of weeks ago when we couldn't get any sound out of the interface. We checked all the sampling rates and nothing had changed. We noticed that when we tried opening Reaper in his computer and ran the plugin version we were able to get sound out of the interface. I don't like to use it that way as it introduces some more potential latency in an already fragile laptop. Then we tried switching user accounts and it again worked fine in standalone mode on the other account. Everything was working fine until Saturday night when we set up for a large coffee shop gig (if there is such a thing). The same thing happened again - no audio out of the M-Track. We quickly checked all the sampling rates and everything seemed to be fine. When I check the computer output thru the m track - that is fine. We went back to the other user account and it wasn't working either. At the last minute, we decided to jut go with the stock sounds in the P-90 instead of using Reaper. Nothing against Yammie - I love them, but not even there high end boards and modules are quite as good as Addictive Keys - strictly my opinion. It may be a driver issue. The M-Track doesn't have ASIO drivers. We have to use ASIO 4 All to get an acceptable latency. Anyone else have similar problem?
Thanks for any input,
Adam

To follow up, I found a new Alva Nanoface for $79. They must be either discontinuing these or coming out with a new model for them to be discounted that much. Normally $199. It should be a significant step up from the M-Track. Plus it has ASIO compatible driver software. We will see.

Most of us would use an interface that come with ASIO drivers. The ASIO4ALL is more of a last resort option, usually to be avoided.

For live recordings, (just tracking the session), I don't concern myself with latency as I just set the levels and hit record. Mix when I get back home. But if you are using the computer and the software as a premixer for effects and post processing, then latency will be a big concern.

DM60, thanks for your reply. I have no problems at all running Multirack to process up to 8 tracks (maximum) and recording with Reaper at near zero latency. I just cannot run the Addictive Keys program from the same computer. Thus the 2nd on stage computer with the cheap interface. I hope the Alva Nanoface is going to do the trick for a midi interface that is glitch free. Never heard of them till I started looking into replacing the M-Track. I figured I couldn't go too wrong for $79. The Nano gets pretty darn good pro reviews.

DM60, thanks for your reply. I have no problems at all running Multirack to process up to 8 tracks (maximum) and recording with Reaper at near zero latency. I just cannot run the Addictive Keys program from the same computer. Thus the 2nd on stage computer with the cheap interface. I hope the Alva Nanoface is going to do the trick for a midi interface that is glitch free. Never heard of them till I started looking into replacing the M-Track. I figured I couldn't go too wrong for $79. The Nano gets pretty darn good pro reviews.

Just to follow up the Alva Nanoface is very stable and does an excellent job as a live midi interface. I would recommend it to anyone.

Back