Pro Tools 7 and Reason using Rewire

lucky13

I'm new to Pro Tools 7's instrument tracks. I'm using Reason as an insert on one of the instrument tracks. When I record, I put both Reason and Pro Tools into record, and Reason follows everything I do in Pro Tools. After I played the bass line, I wanted to make some edits on velocity, and I missed a few notes. When I made the edits in Pro Tools the edits were not made in Reason, so it didn't play when I played back the track. How do I make edits that will be in both programs?

Edit: I'm running Pro Tools 7 and Reason 3.0 on a MacMini G4 1.5 GHz processor with 1 GB RAM and using an MBox 2 for my interface. My controller is an Axiom 49 which is connected to the computer via USB.

First, pt is the ReWire master and Reason is the ReWire slave. That means that any data or edits or anything else pass from Reason to pt, not the reverse.

If you want to change velocities or notes or just about anything you need to run Reason in a midi track, then do your editing in Reason. Wait until you've got everything exactly as you want it, then either record Reason to a pt audio track or just let it render into the final .wav or .aiff file.

So, I should use Reason in a MIDI track? What exactly is the difference between the two? And is there any way to copy the MIDI info I've already recorded from the instrument track onto the MIDI track? After I finish editing the track, how do I convert it to an audio file so I don't have to have Reason open burning up processing power? Thanks in advance for your help.

It's not Reason Adapted that's 'burning up processing power', it's pt itself.

Pt is a very consumptive application. If you read your pt manual it tells you how to record the audio from a ReWire slave program to an audio track and if that's all your computer can handle than that's what you should do.

Digidesign was very clever to include Reason Adapted as a way to get soft synth functionality into their newest versions, but that doesn't mean the midi side of pt is any less tacked on as far as editing goes.

If you're asking about turning audio data back into midi, there's no economical way to do that. Just play the part again.

Back