Online MIDI sound file resource?

Nate74

HR4FREBR
I don’t even know if I’m thinking about this in the correct way, so here’s what I’ve done and what I’d like to do.

I have used Cakewalk Music Creator to write a piano score for a few tunes I’ve recorded with my band (acoustic based rock stuff).

None of us can play piano so recording a real piano is out of the question. Anyway, I converted the midi piano file to an audio file and added the track back to my HD24 and mixed it. It sounds pretty good.

So then we get to thinking can we add horns, B3, strings, flute, etc?

I looked through the list of sounds that were in Cakewalk and none of them sounded any where near as good as the piano, which actually wasn’t the greatest.

So I think my question is… can I download or buy additional midi sound files to use along with the scores I write in midi format in Cakewalk?

I have a pretty good keyboard (Yamaha S03) that has midi connections and some pretty usable sounds as well. Is there a way (easily) to connect it to my computer and get them to “talk.”

I’m obviously brand new to this midi thing…

I'm not exactly sure about Music Creator specifically, but basically you need to find the output for the MIDI track (This is where you set what instrument or MIDI port will recieve data from the MIDI track). Set this to match your external MIDI outport (ON the PC), which should be connected to the MIDI in port on the S03. Be sure the MIDI track is outputing on the same channel as the S03 is set to recieve. This will be Ch. 1-16 or OMNI (Sometimes called All Channels). Usually Ch.1 is what will be used. As Far as setting the S03 to recieve MIDI data it might be best to consult your owners manual, however it is probably already set up to recieve MIDI on ch.1 as default.

Next connect the S03 to your sound card and set up an audio track to record the outputs of the S03. You'll need to record 1 instrument at a time so, Make sure the sound you want for your first MIDI track is loaded in the S03. Be sure you have the Audio track Enabled (Armed) for recording, all MIDI tracks muted except the one you want to record, and hit record. If everything went right you should now have a new recorded audio track of your S03. Now simply create new audio tracks and repeat for each additional instrument you want. Hope this helps a bit.

Back