No Sound Midi Keyboard In Ableton?

itstaylorhickey

I purchased the AKAI Professional MPK Mini Midi Keyboard and the production program that I'm using is Ableton Live 9. I have my MIDI connected via USB and Ableton is picking up sound from the MIDI Keyboard, but the problem I'm facing is that I can't hear any sound from the keyboard when I play a note. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I have updated the firmware from the website. I went on YouTube to try and figure it out and it told me to go into my preferences and do this:

Any help? :( This is all new to me, as well as using iOS.

I know nothing about Ableton, but it looks like you don't have a sound source selected on the output; only the MPK which isn't a sound source.

You won't be able to hear any sounds from the keyboard, with or without Ableton Live, because the MPK Mini doesn't generate any sounds of its own. All you can do is use the keyboard to control virtual instruments-- or possibly other hardware instruments-- using MIDI messages. Ableton Live and other commercial DAWs have a variety of virtual instruments to choose from, although the number and type of virtual instruments usually depends on which edition of the DAW you've bought (e.g., Ableton Live Lite vs. Ableton Live Standard or Ableton Live Suite), and DAWs can also use plug-in instruments and, in some cases, sampled instrument sounds.

I see that the MPK Mini comes with the AIR Ignite software, which has a large number of virtual instruments. I'm wondering if you're trying to figure out how to play or record the sounds from AIR Ignite in Ableton Live? Let me know if that's what you're trying to do, as I have both AIR Ignite and Ableton Live Lite, so I might be able to help. :)

Back