Need serious midi help whats the best way to do this?

puppethead

I'm new to recording and a friend of mine suggested that, I hit this site. I didn't find an answer in my search so im posting here. My problem is simple but not simple enough for me to handle it. I have some gear and im trying to hook it up. I'm trying to hook it up the *best* way possible and, I need a couple of questions answered at the end. Here is a list of gear:

emu mo phatt (1 midi in, 1 midi out, 2 audio outs)

emu proteus 1000 (1 midi in, 1 midi out, 2 audio outs)

mpc 3000 (2 midi ins, 4 midi outs, 2 audio outs, spdif in, 2 audio ins)

midi controller (1 midi in, 1 out)

M-audio 410 fire wire interface (midi in, midi out, 2 mic line/instrument inputs, 2 line imputs, 8 outputs)

Digi m-box (2 inserts, spdif in, spdif out, 2 mic/line, 2 outputs

mackie 12 channel mixer (12 inputs, 6 mic inputs, left and right main out)

Juno 60 (2 audio outs)

cubase s.l.

apple i-mac

Questions:

---------------------------------------
1.Should, I go midi out from the controller to midi in on the mpc, midi out of mpc to midi in of mo phatt, midi out of mpc to midi in of proteus 1000? If thats correct how do, I connect it to the I mac via midi? I'm ready to sequence on cubase or pro tools not the mpc.

2.If thats not the best way can you please tell me the best way? Please be sure to tell me what midi ins and outs to use (Like in my 1. question) that would be Etremely helpful!!!

3.how should, I hook it up as far as audio is concerned? I know where the plugs go but I need to know the BEST way to do it? should, I go out from the modules into the mpc or mixer? Should, I go out from the mixer into the mpc, pro tools or 410?

4.would it be better to get rid of the mpc, get a midi interface, dump the mixer and dump the 410 or mbox? If, I could get asio drivers for the mbox would that allow me to use the mbox with cubase sl?

I, need your help on this guys my life depends on this. Help a newbie out (my life is in jeopardy). I appreciate all views and info. thanks in advance.

puppet

You need to figure out what you want to do foremost.
How do you record? Do you track individually, do you sequence and playback all modules, do you layer a few modules regularly?
How would you like to record?

The best advice I can give is to try every possible combination to find what you like. It's really hard to say which way is best. Some folks would use the controller and place all the modules in a chain with the audio outs all going to individual ins on the mixer. some guys would just need a couple things at a time. Some would use the controller to program the MPC and put all the modules in the MPC's control...the variables are endless.

You need to do some experimentation with your gear. How proficient are you with the MPC...that could be the most important thing in your setup.

To start off with I would hook up all the audio outputs to the mixer. Then hook up the MIDI out on the controller directly to the computer. Go MIDI out of the computer and into the other keyboards and modules using the MIDI In and Thru.

you might want to get a MIDI patch bay. Check out Mark of the unicorn. www.motu.com or M-audio. I'm not sure what the latest model is but they usually have 8 midi ins and 8 outs. You plug the MIDI cables from all your gear into it and then tell it what ins (on the patchbay) go to what outs. you should be able to use the fire wire interface to connect you mac to the system. I think that many of the newer patchbays have a USB connection so that you might not need the 410.

Back