Need Help with a Midi/track output issue

Resurrect

I'm not sure if this is a MIDI issue, or an issue with Reaper, but I figured that since I've only had the issue while attempting MIDI, I'd put it here.

I have my Alesis Q49 hooked up to my Presonus Firestudio Project and my laptop. I have the MIDI track on my reaper workstation set for the MIDI input from the Firestudio Project. Reaper is receiving the signal when I play the keyboard, but I get no sound from the headphone output. The Reaper user guide said to make sure that the track output went to the Master and then have the master go to the hardware (i.e. the Firestudio) . But I can't figure out how to do that, and thus have no idea whether that is the problem or not. Any help would greatly appreciated, since I am brand new to using MIDI. THANKS!

Last edited:
If I understand you corectly, you have this so far:

q49 > midi > presonus > reaper.

You've the track in Reaper to receive midi from the presonus, and Reaper is seeing that ok.

That's halfway there.

You need to make sure the track is armed for recording, and that its monitor button is clicked on.

To be able to hear anything, the midi needs to drive something. This could be either a (A) virtual instrument loaded onto the midi track, or it could be (B) the Q49 itself.

If (A), then click on the track FX button. With luck there will be a VSTi available that you can select for testing.

If (B), it gets a bit more complicated:

1 On the track you need to click the "I/O" button and select the presonus as the output midi device. You can probably leave the next bit "send to original channels" as it is.

2 You need to have a midi cable going from presonus midi out to Q49 in.

3 You need to get the Q49 audio output into the presonus

4 You need to create a track to record the presonus audio, and arm and monitor this.

Monitoring is on and the track is armed. I am using the Q49 as the instrument. There is no input MIDI port on the Q49, just an output and USB. I will take at look at step 1, though. I have not done that yet.

I just checked out the Q49. It is a midi controller and has no internal sound. This means that you can totally ignore (B) earlier.

You can transmit midi via midi cable to presonus (which is what I think you've done) or via USB. Reaper won't mind which you do. Just select midi in/all mid inputs.

However, you have to give the midi something to play, so you need load up a VSTi.

Ok. Thanks. I think that must be my problem. I've never often been in a situation where I felt like a complete and total noob. But this has been one of them. MIDI is a totally different world from recording actual sound, it seems. :)

Ok. So now I've got sound! Yay! :) But, I have another problem. I've got about a half second delay from when I press the physical key to when the sound actually plays. It's not the synth, because when I use the virtual keyboard that comes with Reaper sound is instantaneous. It doesn't appear to be a slow computer processor or over full computer memory. When I plug it in through the Presonus Firestudio the delay is even worse.

Nevermind. I got it. I needed different sound drivers. For anyone experiencing the same problem I downloaded the ASIO4ALL drivers.

Nevermind. I got it. I needed different sound drivers. For anyone experiencing the same problem I downloaded the ASIO4ALL drivers.

That's good that you've got it sorted. But I'm not sure why you needed to go to ASIO4ALL. The Presonus ASIO drivers should work just fine.

How are you listening back to the material? Are you listening via the presonus, or via speakers coming out of the computer? If the latter, that might be a source of latency issues.

When I used the Presonus with the Presonus ASIO drivers, the delay is about three seconds after I press the key. When using my Windows drivers, the delay is about half a second. When using ASIO4ALL, there is none. The Reaper User Guide recommend ASIO4ALL as a fix for the latency issue.

When I used the Presonus with the Presonus ASIO drivers, the delay is about three seconds after I press the key. When using my Windows drivers, the delay is about half a second. When using ASIO4ALL, there is none. The Reaper User Guide recommend ASIO4ALL as a fix for the latency issue.

How are you monitoring? To what are your speakers or headphones connected to? I use a presonus interface, and I get effectively no latency, for audio or midi.

Back