midi timing question

Nola

i programmed midi drums, and realized well after the fact that for some reason i didn't start the patterns on the 1 beat. they start on the & of a 1/8 note pattern. so a beat late.

i played a midi organ part over this. i want to move the drum beat back to the 1 beat, but when i do the organ is now late. when i try to move the organ by eye it doesn't seem to line up. do i have to play the organ part over, or is there a way to move the drum along with the organ the same amount?

Last edited:
What DAW are you using? Can't you just drag and drop the MIDI (and/or audio) parts so that they line up with your downbeat? Your DAW will have some kind of "snap to measure" function that can be helpful in some cases. In others situations, you'll want to disable it.

i forgot about this question.

robus, i realized the problem is i had a tempo changed programmed that was throwing things off. it's fixed now thanks.

Your DAW will have some kind of "snap to measure" function that can be helpful in some cases. In others situations, you'll want to disable it.

Learning I could control this was a big step in my drum programming. Now, I end up moving about 75% of the hits, lol. I would humanize, but I haven't found a way to tell the program to ONLY humanize timing and NOT velocity. Since I have a tendency to jump start every beat, particularly the 1 beat of a new section, I always move the kick and crash m/s's ahead of 1.

There should be function to control velocity and timing separately. There is in Reaper.

yeah, haven't found it yet. i get side tracked a lot while doing music stuff. meant to check this last night, ended up downloading about 8 plugs :)

now, i would recommend trying Code Red. wow, that thing is cool. console vst, and the classic setting's top boost sounds awesome. PM me if you have any good recommendations for free plugs - 64 bit only. i have a ton.

Back