MIDI stage box?

7Hz Research

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this is deemed off topic for this forum but I'm trying to find a specific piece of midi kit.

I have a rack case that I keep my computer and midi interface in but I also have a few bits of midi outboard a little way across the room from the rack case. I'm getting fed up with bundles of wires running across the room. I have an audio stage box that I plug the audio outs into and run across to my patchbay as a single multicore cable but I'm struggling to find the midi equivalent.

I'm looking for something with at least 10 sockets with about 3 meters of cable and it needs to be available in the UK. If anyone knows where I might find something that fits the description I'd love to hear it! Alternatively I might just have to source the parts and build it myself.

Thanks!

Thanks for replying.

Looms are great but they put a lot of strain on the sockets due to the weight of the multicore cable.

I'm looking for something that starts out like a loom at one end but ends as a box of sockets so that I can use short midi cable from my instruments to the box and the have the multicore run across the room and into my midi interface in the rack.

I think I'm probably going to end up buying a loom, a bunch of sockets, and a box and make it myself.

Thanks for the link though!

Eight ways right? 25 way Dsubs* . Cable? two CAT5 "FTPs" that is shielded network cable. 4 prs per cable and since MIDI is 'differential' you only need the shield as a 'shield' (in fact I would put a grnd lift one end)

The DIN boxes will be a bit of a trial to make unless you have MUCH better workshop facilities than I ever have. In fact I would seek out a little man in an Ind' estate with a CNC miller and bung him a drinkypoo. He can do the big holes, you can Deck'n'Blacker the screw holes (look for 'Taptite' M3 screws)

I did this but only for 4 DINs over about 6mtrs of CAT cable between a MIDI AI and a dumb keyboard. Worked fine.

*In fact I used RJ45 jacks but only because I had a box full and an AMP crimp tool.

Dave.

Back