midi recording levels???

gamba

hi all, i use v drums to record with either steven slate drums or bfd2. my question is that when setting these vst's to multiple outs do i have to get a good recording level before converting the midi to audio. i have been doing this but thought if it mattered because midi is not audio. please help? thanks a bunch. oh and I'm using logic 9 as my daw.

Don't worry about the levels. The main reason to record with conservative levels is so you don't stress the preamp and the rest of the analog signal path. Since there is no analog signal path in your scenario, it isn't a worry.

As long as it doesn't clip (hit 0dbfs), don't worry about it.

hi all, i use v drums to record with either steven slate drums or bfd2. my question is that when setting these vst's to multiple outs do i have to get a good recording level before converting the midi to audio. i have been doing this but thought if it mattered because midi is not audio. please help? thanks a bunch. oh and I'm using logic 9 as my daw.

When you say "converting midi to audio" to you mean bouncing the output of your drum suite? If so then it matters.
The midi data itself is going to cause any problem but it's entirely possible for that midi data to trigger an instrument whose output is clips.

As fairview says, sure make sure nothing is clipping.
If you're bouncing individual tracks (kick, snare, etc) that's all you need to know.
If you're bouncing the stereo sum then you need to make sure the master bus for them isn't clipping either. If it is just reduce the component tracks equally until the master is happy, then bounce.

thanks guys! much appreciated . and yes i separate midi notes buy pitch then bounce individual tracks to audio.

I've been doing all of my intermediate bounces (short of the actual final master) as 32 -bit FP waves, so it doesn't matter at all, because it can't clip.

Don't worry about the levels. The main reason to record with conservative levels is so you don't stress the preamp and the rest of the analog signal path. Since there is no analog signal path in your scenario, it isn't a worry.

As long as it doesn't clip (hit 0dbfs), don't worry about it.

i usually record midi stuff -18 like all my audio. would this matter in any way, fairview?

Back