MIDI question from the ignorant

Bigus Dickus

Here's the deal... I've got a MIDI capable keyboard (Bachmann... several yeras old, but still very cool), and I'm sure at some point I will want to use it instead of just plain acoustic recording.

My idiot question... my tracking machine has a Delta Dio 2496 card, which has no MIDI capability. My "gaming" machine has an SBLive 5.1, which does have MIDI capability. The Delta will be doing 24 bit, probably 88.2 kHz acoustic recording. The SBLive is only 44.1 kHz capable (or 48, never can really remember, they kinda botched the specs there it seems). So, if I record some tracks at 24/88.2, and then transfer the project to the "gaming" machine to input MIDI tracks, will the sampling rate cause any issues? I know that for two audio tracks at different sampling rates, one will have to be resampled to mix in with another. But since MIDI is a time based event, I was wondering how that would differ.

I know that just listening to the 24/88.2 tracks will be a problem if I just "copy" the project over to the gaming machine. Haven't really figured out what complications this is going to cause me.

Basically, I've got the two machines mentioned, and I am curious if I can use them without a divine miracle to do audio and MIDI on one project, using a separate PC for each.

??

Hey BD, why not just record at 44.1 at 24. and use the delta and the soundblaster. Or if you got a couple of bucks get a USB midi port, that might be a hell of a lot easier than transfering data back and forth. Especially with alot of tracks, it could get messy if you just have a CR-RW.
Shawn

Man, you're bored tonight... wasn't expecting a reply until tomorrow. :D

Well, for one I'm convinced that 88.2 might have some possible benefit, and definitely doesn't do any harm, so for now I'm using that. Haven't decided 100% though.

I did notice through some basic setup testing that tracks made a 44.1 on the Delta card and played back through the SBLive were ever so slightly pitch shifted down. Since the Delta is synced to the clock of a dbx type IV A/D converter (decent mid end, from what I gather), it doesn't give me much confidence in the ability of the SBLive's internal clock. I'm not sure if that would cause problems or not, or just "sound a bit different" when I'm monitoring for adding MIDI tracks.

Anyway... the USB MIDI port sounds extremely interesting, except that that mobo only currently has 2 USB ports, and I'm using a USB keyboard/mouse. Oh wait, I have a USB KVM on the way with a built in USB hub. That could work. I'll go look and see how much they cost.

Any suggested brands? Man, just one more thing to add to the list of "things I didn't intend to buy." :D

Oh, and about the transferring back and forth, both machines are on the same network, though large project files would still take several minutes or more to transfer. An annoyance, no doubt.

Back