Midi Pads for live patch changes

Tom Gee

Hi

I've been searching various forums to see if this is possible and had no luck, so thought I'd post it here...

I have a Mopho x4 I will be using live, but changing patches with the rotary encoders is not easy and sometimes the quick changes are not possible and I miss the patch I need for the next section. Is it possible to buy pads I can assign to different patches through midi? I don't want to bring a computer into the set-up as already have enough gear to deal with, so if there is no hardware solution I'll just learn to deal with it.

Thanks in advance!

Pure hardware solution is going to be pretty hard. I know Ableton and Push would do this with ease (or the MPC40 with Ableton), that is what it is built for and it would give you so much more. But, with a healthy laptop, interface and software/hardware you are looking at about 2-3K ($/EU). But, you get a lot more functionality.

Not the answer you were looking for, but at least something to think about.

I've seen online ads for a device that looks a lot like a pocket calculator which can be programmed to send patch changes, from simple Program Change events, to combinations of Bank Select and Program Change events, to more complex combinations that include other CC events and SysEx. (Searches web.) Found it!

.:Music Technologies Group:. - MIDI Patch Changer Keypad

I think it looks very useful-- but it isn't cheap.

Another solution would be to use an iPad-- there's an app called MIDI Designer that lets you design your own controller with knobs, wheels, pads, sliders, etc., and assign MIDI events to them:

MIDI Designer :: dream | create | play :: your perfect MIDI controller (for iOS)

EDIT: Since MIDI Designer is an iOS app, it might work on an iPhone as well as an iPad, although an iPad will give you more "screen real estate" to design on.

Hi

Thanks for your responses. I have a mac and various ways to control midi through it but I want to just keep it a hardware set up to minimise complications. Thanks for the above suggestions - I also found a couple of cheaper options called midi mouse and midi moose. And it turns out the novation launch pad controllers can do this with the latest updates as well, and they're only about £40 - so I'll probably go with that.

Thanks again.

Back