MIDI In /Out to USB cable query

michaelhigh

Where do I get a CHEEP cable as I describe above? I've seen them from $5 on up to $50. Which one specifically handles my OS? I have Windows 7 as an operating system, and am trying to play some mellotron/string software I freeloaded from the net (just Google "mellotron freeware", I forget the name of the program. All I have is the chromatic notes unzipped in my Download section) onto my PC. Anyone? Thank you in advance.:D

Any USB cable will work. Even 2 streams of midi data - in + out - don't add up to much by modern standards. If you go with the cheapest you can find be prepared to replace it when it breaks. On the other hand, I can't remember my last broken USB cable...

Are you talking about a regular USB cable or a USB/midi in out cable? That's what (the latter) I need, I'm not sure you caught that as you talked about a USB cable as a generic thing. I saw the cable I describe as being compatible with Vista and XP but didn't mention 7. I'm new at marrying midi and computers so that's why I ask such a retarded question. Anyone?

Midi on one end and usb on the other is not "any usb cable", so I'll ask my question somewhere else. Thank you for responding.

I ordered a cable from China, we'll see if it ever shows up. The m-audio cable I pricechecked was $50, and the generic one I ordered was $6 (free ship). We'll see how that goes too. Thanks.

The place is called Meritline.com. You can go to Google Shopping to see the offerings, and you can sort them by price or however you like. There are a few at that price. Amazon yields the same result.

Back