midi mapping (virtually) any synth or keyboard

leelaw

let's say I have a rather common synth, with a lot of knobs and buttons (eg. korg ms 20 mini or arturia minibrute)

Now, I also have a few vsts on my daw(s), also synths, like Serum, Spire and Iris. I love them, especially Iris, but I feel like I'm way too slow when I play with those.
Knobs and buttons are a lot, and the feeling of turning and tweaking them with a mouse is pretty "impersonal", compared to non-virtual synths.

The question is, is there a universal way to midi-map any synth, controller or old keyboard, so that I can assign the functions that i want to the knobs on those?
Because in this way, it would be pretty great to use those useless and dusty buttons of some old keyboard that almost everybody has in their cellar.
I already know that some vsts have a midi assign function, that's why I'm asking for a universal way to do that, bearing in mind that some functions will be impossible to assign.

Also, you may have noticed that I don't know jack about midi-mapping, music production, synths and how to restrain my brain from formulating dumb questions.

I know many DAWs have this capability. But universal, I think that becomes problematic because of all of the devices that use MIDI control signals. But check your DAW to see if it doesn't have some basic mapping features.

Nice to know it's just problematic and not impossible.
I forgot to mention, I use a macbook pro, Logic X, a yamaha keyboard from the 80's as a midi controller (hence the question regarding the useless buttons), and soon I'll probably own an Alesis Ion.
My main concern is to know if I'll be able to map the virtual instruments that I use on Logic X to the Alesis Ion. Any other clarification regarding this matter is highly appreciated.

Nice to know it's just problematic and not impossible.
I forgot to mention, I use a macbook pro, Logic X, a yamaha keyboard from the 80's as a midi controller (hence the question regarding the useless buttons), and soon I'll probably own an Alesis Ion.
My main concern is to know if I'll be able to map the virtual instruments that I use on Logic X to the Alesis Ion. Any other clarification regarding this matter is highly appreciated.

I use a PC-100, bought it in 89, so MIDI hasn't changed. I know I can in Ableton, but can't really say with 100% with yours. But I would hazard it would be a yes. Logic has been around for awhile. Do some look ups and direct your search like MIDI mapping in Logic (first one that came up: Logic Pro Help ? View topic - Assign MIDI controllers ). You should be good to go.

i see that this is possible with logic (or ableton), but is it with iZotope Iris, Xfer Serum, Reveal Sound Spire, Sylenth, massive and all those "must own" plugins?

Back