MIDI Keyboard without the Computer

inkline

Hello all, first post here.

I have a midi keyboard, 88 keys, that I normally use with my computer via USB.

Now, there are folks in my family who aren't technically enabled folks -- they aren't going to be able to turn on the computer and set up the program to play easily.

If it was just something they could flip a switch and turn on then they'd be happy. So, I ask the question -- is there something inexpensive I can hook up to this midi keyboard, and then to my stereo and have it produce a good piano sound?

Anyone have an idea/recommendation?

My midi keyboard is a Keystation 88 which of course can do a regular midi out besides USB if need be.

It sounds like you're looking for what's known as a "tone generator" or "sound module," which may or may not be the same thing-- "sound module" often refers to essentially a synthesizer without a keyboard so you usually have to design your own sound patches (but it might include some presets), whereas "tone generator" often refers to essentially a "ROMpler" without a keyboard so you're usually limited to whatever preset sounds are included (but you might be able to modify some of the parameters). Disclaimer: At least, that's my understanding of the distinction between these two terms, although sometimes they're used interchangeably. When you search for these terms, be careful with "tone generator" because sometimes it's used to refer to a device that generates tones for testing audio equipment rather than for making music.

These things can vary in price quite a bit, ranging from under $100 to over $1000, so it might be cheaper to just buy a portable keyboard. In fact, that's another possible solution-- buy a used low-end Yamaha keyboard (I'm assuming you're trying not to spend a lot of money on this), and use the Keystation as a controller. Used Yamaha PSR, PSR-E, and YPT keyboards can often be found for under $100, or even for under $50. Just make sure you look at the owner's manual at Yamaha's website for whatever ones you see advertised, to check whether they have a MIDI IN port you can connect the Keystation to, as well as a PHONES/OUTPUT jack for connecting to your stereo-- or just use the keyboard's built-in speakers.

Thanks that advice pointed me in the right direction. Looks like a MidiPlus MiniEngine or Pianobox sound module which I am seeing in my Internet searches is what would do the trick as inexpensively as possible. I think I will try one out.

Yes, I saw those when I searched for "MIDI tone generator," but I have no experience with them. Keep me posted as to which one you get and how well it works out for you, as I'm curious. In other words, "Would you buy this item again?" and "Would you recommend it to others?" or "Do you rue the day you ordered this item and wish that someone had warned you to run from it as fast as your browser's BACK button could take you?" :)

Sure thing. I listened to the sounds it made already online, so that part at least seems good enough, hope however it's built reliably, that only time will tell.

Be a few weeks before I order one, I just spent my free cash on a new Onkyo A-9010 amplifier which I am eagerly awaiting to arrive in the mail.

Just go out to flea-bay and get a Kurzweil Micropiano.
Couldn't be simpler. Could hardly be cheaper. Sounds pretty good, too.
Has piano, EP, strings, synth, etc.

Ponder5

Thanks for the suggestion.. except that I can't actually find any.. well there is just one but its $200, which compared to just $41.. Perhaps someone will be getting rid of one in a couple weeks at a better price.

Back