Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: midi keyboard/ virtual instruments recomendation

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    A lot of people think they need to quantize things, or, it's enabled and they don't know why it's sounding weird : ) No, I don't know how sensitive MIDI guitar controllers, are but if they can do Classical guitar, that would be good enough for me.

Thanks
    "Quantize" is one of those words that sounds like you surely want to use it.

Newbie: "Quantize? What the heck is that? Hmm. 'Quantize'... 'Quantity'... Well, of course I want more quantity! I'd better turn quantize on!"
    Michael Rideout: Yamaha PSR-E433/PSR-E443/YPT-400; M-Audio Axiom 61-II
    Acoustica Mixcraft; Anvil Studio; PreSonus Studio One; SynthFont; etc.

Thanks
    hahah new world slaves to the quantize/bpm jackboot. "Teacher leave those kids alone"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swelborn View Post
    "As a guitarist you could do what I did- forget about using a MIDI keyboard and play MIDI guitar with a Fishman Tripleplay guitar pickup. "

This looks like a good option for me too as a guitarist. I've heard great piano sounds on midi-guitar, but NOT the other way around. Although it's not piano parts necessarily that I'm looking to record though I'm sure I would in some cases. I'll probably go this route first then get a keyboard controller as I can afford next cuz it sounds like fun and might add more possibilities.
    No guitar synth can accurately emulate all the characteristics of keyboards but they can, and do- sound like keyboards. More than that and you'd have to become a keyboard player. I'm happy to be a guitarist who can play keyboard sounds at the flip of a switch. BUT when it comes to creating non-conventional sounds then guitars and keyboards are on an equal footing- accepting the guitar's multi-note limitations. Of course, a software designer thinking in that direction could- perhaps already has- produced a software that adds multiple notes to a single guitar note on order to emulate a keyboard chord.
    By the same token- perhaps there's a software that adds guitar-sounding ' bends ' and ' slides ' to keyboard notes . There are plenty of very clever buggers out there.
    Lend me your ears

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I have some very decent piano samplers, the trouble is not the sound as in the sound of that one note, it's how guitars are different from keyboards. I work with a concert pianist a lot and if you look at the midi note editor you see very odd things, notes overlap, and sometimes have tiny double taps, and left hand held notes, with other shorter ones close in pitch - and guitar based MIDI sources can't do this - and this means that while you can play a few sustained chords, melody lines are always going to be different. The best sampler needs the right notes - keys mean very specific ways notes change. Guitars cannot do many of these, but of course, guitars can do things keys can't. So you could play something on the guitar a pianist can't - authenticity, if that is your need means keys, but maybe there is scope for some unique stuff from a midi guitar on fixed pitch samples?
    Yes- guitars sound best as guitars and keyboards as keyboards- but guitarists now have reliable and easy access to MIDI- thanks to kit such as the TriplePlay- and are able to work in the areas of original sound generation which were not previously an option- as far as I'm aware. I'm talking on a consumer level here.
    Lend me your ears

Thanks
    The OP said they wanted to use MIDI to lay down tracks of "instruments I don't play". Since they only mentioned playing guitar, this leaves like every other instrument in the world, but we're all hung up on whether we can accurately mimic a very narrow range of those.

So like fine, you can't play a guitar exactly the way you might play a piano or organ. I'd argue that you can get at least as close as you would dinking on a keyboard you don't completely understand, and probably more accurate timing and dynamics.

But what happens when you go to bust out that sax solo? A sax generally can't play two notes at once, but it can jump a couple octaves between notes. That might be slightly easier on a guitar, but in this case it's probably a wash.

What about a sweet cello part? In my mind, a guitar is much more appropriate for trying to emulate string instruments. Most guitar>MIDI converters have each string on a separate channel, so you can even retune it to be fifths between strings like a cello rather than the fourths without restringing or messing around.

Like I said, if you really want to be able to say "I play guitar and keys", then go get a damn keyboard and learn to play. If you just want to play in fairly competent parts using various different MIDI sounds, why not just use the instrument that you already play?

Thread Information