midi keyboard controller doesn't sound same 3 notes in every octave -

BobbRo

I'm hoping someone can give some insight (it may be a keyboard question, but I think the problem is midi so I'm listing here); have a korg midi controller, simple but functions well; it is not sounding 3 notes in each octave - the Eb, the G and the B natural; same notes in each octave. Worked great for a long time. Happened before, I reset it was fine. Now not. I know I've seen tips about oxidation, etc but my feeling is it's something midi, as I don't get why it's the same 3 notes as the last time and the same 3 notes in each octave and other than that works great. So if anyone has any insight into maybe how those 3 notes could have turned off or something about why they stopped working I'm very grateful.

It's NOT MIDI - MIDI gets the blame for everything. The keyboard is faulty. Buggered. Broken. Bust! MIDI is a protocol it is a data stream. It works or it doesn't, like most digital streams. Most usual problems are the data going in at the start and being decoded at the other end. So common problems are note on messages being missed, and note off messages lost. Same thing happens with continuous controller data - levers and wheels. You can inspect the MIDI events in most editors. There is rarely any issues with the data stream. The key issue is getting the data into it in the first place. Remember that MIDI is just switches under the keys, and not even sophisticated ones. MIDI velocity is not a how hard you kit the key, it's the time between it starting to move and ending the move - the quicker, the harder it was hit. If certain notes are missing - then it's a real fault. Some keyboards work by scanning all the keys, putting them into groups and then processing them. Older ones had data lines from chunks of the keyboard that get parallel processed. The internal processing of synth type keyboards also groups things into octaves so C1, C2 and C3 may be shared and then combined with D1, D2 and D3. The exact method your keyboard uses to process key data will be at fault here. You can test the system with a different midi controller - anything will do. If another keyboard adds the missing notes, the fault is the keyboard. I have had corrupt software in the computer cause this, but maybe twice in 40 years? It can be caused by software. It's even a feature of some VSTIs - demo mode or an expired subscription removes notes at random - so certainly it's possible its at the computer end, but you need to try something else first, then you can inspect the data in the sequencer - when you press C3, does it record a C3 note and the issue is you just cannot hear it? Be systematic and work out where the issue is. I bet it's the keyboard though.

I am with Rob, electronic fault in the Korg. I would bet those notes go to a common hex inverter/debounce IC that has died. Could be a bad joint?

Try this (yes, I know it sounds daft!) Wrap the controller in a hole free poly bag, tape up well then stick it in the fridge over night. Next day have ALL the rig ready to go then whip it out and plug it in. There is a good chance those notes will be back until thing get up to ambient. If that works, there's your proof.

Dave.

I am with Rob, electronic fault in the Korg.... Try this (yes, I know it sounds daft!) Wrap the controller in a hole free poly bag, tape up well then stick it in the fridge over night...

Then if that works, we'll need to get some aluminum tubing, condenser, evap, blower, R134A.. :p

Then if that works, we'll need to get some aluminum tubing, condenser, evap, blower, R134A.. :p

Thanks to both - I like that wrapping thing I'm going to try it just because it sounds cool. Yes, I always thought it was the keyboard, just wanted to know if there was a reset thing or something; I broke down and bought a new one, all fine with that - I'm going to try the bag thing when I get some time and I'll report back - I'm skeptical! Thanks -

Back