MIDI key/trigger issue...

bolero

I have a weird problem I cannot figure out on my M-Audio Oxygen 61:

when I am holding a note, and accidentally hit another key, the original note ends rather than resuming

I am sure this is some sort of trigger configuration, but I can't find it in the manual. maybe my terminology is wrong?

anyone out there know how to change this?

thx!

Isn't the M-Audio Oxygen 61 just a MIDI keyboard controller? If that's so, then the way the notes are being played when you press the keys on the Oxygen is most likely dependent on the virtual instrument or soft synth that you're controlling with the Oxygen, or else the other keyboard or sound module if you're using the Oxygen to control other hardware.

Synths can be monophonic or polyphonic, and polyphonic synths may let you control the number of notes that can be played simultaneously. It sounds like whatever hardware or software instrument you're controlling with the Oxygen is set to monophonic mode.

yes it is plugged into an analog mono synth...so it can only play 1 note at a time

but shouldn't there be a function on the keyboard, so it still sends a signal when a key is held down?

I have played with other mono synths ( minimoog ) and they didn't exhibit this problem

thx for the help!

I've never owned or played a monophonic hard synth, but my experience with soft synths is that when you're holding down a note and then you play a second note, the second note takes over. In fact, this is usually required for playing portamento or glissando-- if you play two notes without allowing them to overlap, the notes will sound separately with their own envelopes; but if you play the second note while the first one is still held down (i.e., so they overlap, often called legato style), the synth will glide from the first note to the second note as specified by the portamento rate if the portamento feature is turned on, or if portamento isn't turned on then (I think) the synth may just jump to the second note but without retriggering the envelope generator (although that might depend on the synth and how the patch is set up).

In any case, I would expect that you should be looking at how the analog synth is set up, rather than the Oxygen, but I'll have a look at the Oxygen's manual to see if I can spot anything that might be relevant. :)

PS-- As I said, I've no actual experience with mono synths, and each synth can have its own peculiarities-- but I believe some mono synths have a setting that lets you control how you want the synth to react when more than one key is pressed at the same time-- e.g., should it ignore the new note and keep playing the old note, or should it play the new note, or-- if two or more keys are struck at exactly the same time-- should it give preference to the highest note or to the lowest note, etc.

thx again!

yes I have been looking thru the synth manual as well...it is a Doepfer Dark Energy

I will let you know if I find anything

Cheers!

Assuming you have the Dark Energy rather than the Dark Energy II, look at note 6, "CV1 Key Assign Mode (Note Priority)," on page 22, as well as the corresponding chart on page 21.

EDIT: Actually, it's on the same page in the manual for the Dark Energy II.

yes! there is a "retrigger mode" option there....let me try some of those options out

thanks a lot!!

Back