MIDI Interface or USB Hub

Jae Little

I know if I use a USB Hub I can tweak the sounds in the sound modules I'll have because it's the only way to access the software that comes with them. But I don't want the cables to be all over the place. But yet I want to go thru MIDI because it's a lot easier I think.

What do y'all think about this?

Get both. A powered USB 2 hub can be found for under 20$. Having a ton of low bandwidth dedicated USB controllers is no big deal and more often than not, you will need to use the midi on them anyway (midi clock for instance, I have to do that with my lexicon)

And "cable mania" is an unescapable fact of life, so get some tie wraps and get organised now before you develop bad habits :D

Jae Little said:
I know if I use a USB Hub I can tweak the sounds in the sound modules I'll have because it's the only way to access the software that comes with them. But I don't want the cables to be all over the place. But yet I want to go thru MIDI because it's a lot easier I think.
Midi through a USB hub is just another way to get midi information into a personal computer.

You are able to 'tweak' the sounds over a USB connection not because of the USB connection itself, but because your midi controller transmits and your modules can understand midi Continuous Controllers and translate them into parameter changes. In short, USB midi is no different from any other midi.

And yes Virginia, midi cables 'all over the place' --- or at least behind the table you have your gear set up on --- are an inconvenience that we've all learned to live with. Or maybe you could invest in a midi patcher...

Back