MIDI hookup - kinda overwhelmed

craigwojo

Hi everyone,

To get started...
Here is what I have in the studio (that has MIDI ports) and need some guidance of what should be hooked-up to what...

Running a PC with Windows 10.
DAW - Licensed Sonar Premium
Behringer X-Touch surface controller (MIDI in / MIDI out)
MOTU midi express 128 interface (MIDI 8 in / MIDI 8 out)
Roland SC88 (MIDI in A / MIDI in B / MIDI out/thru / MIDI in B (face-plate)
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller (MIDI in / MIDI out/thru)
Behringer UMC 404HD Audio Interface (MIDI in / MIDI out)
Kemper Profiler (MIDI in / MIDI out / MIDI thru)
M-Audio Keystation 88 Keyboard (MIDI out)
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard. (MIDI out)

I know this is alot to asked for and everyone reading and helping thank you so much. Just looking for some positive advice. I have read the manuals and researched for what I have but just a little overwhelmed with the hookups.

Thank you and God bless in advance,
Craig

I think he meant divide the equipment up into different piles or stacks.

Since I'm not familiar with most of that equipment, this is going to be the blind leading the blinder, so keep that in mind.

First, I see that the Kemper Profiler is an amp. I take it you're plugging a guitar into it? I'm guessing you'll want to run the audio out of the Kemper Profiler to an audio input of the Behringer UMC404HD.

I also see that the Roland SC-88 is a sound module, so I'm guessing you'll want to run the audio out of the Roland SC-88 to another audio input of the Behringer UMC404HD.

I'm guessing you'll want to connect the four MIDI controllers-- two Behringer controllers and two M-Audio controllers-- to the MOTU MIDI Express 128. You'll need to run a MIDI cable from the MIDI Out of a given controller to one of the MIDI Ins of the MOTU. That's four MIDI cables in all, one for each controller.

I'm guessing you'll also want to connect the MOTU MIDI Express 128 to both the Kemper Profiler and the Roland SC-88, so you'll need two more MIDI cables for that. Run a MIDI cable from one of the MIDI Outs of the MOTU to the MIDI In of the Kemper, and run another MIDI cable from another of the MIDI Outs of the MOTU to the MIDI In of the Roland.

Finally, I'm guessing you'll want to connect both interfaces to the computer via USB.

That setup should let you send MIDI from any of the controllers to the computer for recording in SONAR or playing virtual instruments, as well as to the Kemper to control its functions via MIDI, as well as to the Roland to play its sounds.

And you should be able to record the audio from the Kemper and the Roland in SONAR.

Well, it is still unknown what is doing what. One keyboard may go to the Sound Canvas. The Pedal may go to the amp ? A share of that stuff is USB MIDI and DIN MIDI

I think he meant divide the equipment up into different piles or stacks.

Since I'm not familiar with most of that equipment, this is going to be the blind leading the blinder, so keep that in mind.

First, I see that the Kemper Profiler is an amp. I take it you're plugging a guitar into it? I'm guessing you'll want to run the audio out of the Kemper Profiler to an audio input of the Behringer UMC404HD.

I also see that the Roland SC-88 is a sound module, so I'm guessing you'll want to run the audio out of the Roland SC-88 to another audio input of the Behringer UMC404HD.

I'm guessing you'll want to connect the four MIDI controllers-- two Behringer controllers and two M-Audio controllers-- to the MOTU MIDI Express 128. You'll need to run a MIDI cable from the MIDI Out of a given controller to one of the MIDI Ins of the MOTU. That's four MIDI cables in all, one for each controller.

I'm guessing you'll also want to connect the MOTU MIDI Express 128 to both the Kemper Profiler and the Roland SC-88, so you'll need two more MIDI cables for that. Run a MIDI cable from one of the MIDI Outs of the MOTU to the MIDI In of the Kemper, and run another MIDI cable from another of the MIDI Outs of the MOTU to the MIDI In of the Roland.

Finally, I'm guessing you'll want to connect both interfaces to the computer via USB.

That setup should let you send MIDI from any of the controllers to the computer for recording in SONAR or playing virtual instruments, as well as to the Kemper to control its functions via MIDI, as well as to the Roland to play its sounds.

And you should be able to record the audio from the Kemper and the Roland in SONAR.

Thank you so very much. I must have the FCB1010 pedal board hooked-up to the Kemper (MIDI in / MIDI out) (both MIDI cables to Kemper and FCB1010). How would the MIDI get connected to the MIDI interface?
Would I send the MIDI thru to the MIDI in on the MOTU 128 interface? Just guessing here.

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

If you want to use the pedal board exclusively with the Kemper then you can connect it to the Kemper rather than the MOTU, and there's no need to connect the Kemper's MIDI to the MOTU.

My tentatively-suggested setup was based on not knowing what you want to use each controller for. Also, I didn't know why you'd need the MOTU with all of its MIDI Ins and Outs if you wanted specific controllers to be used exclusively with specific devices. For example, if you intend to use one of the keyboard controllers exclusively with the Roland then you can just connect it directly to the Roland. The setup I suggested was aiming at maximum flexibility, since it would hopefully allow you to change which controller goes to which device without having to change any cables around-- just change the way the MOTU's routing is configured, or leave the MOTU's configuration as is and use SONAR to do the routing.

haha You got a pile of stuff and need to sort out what is to be done. There is no one way to hook it up. Form follows function. It is a on going process for using MIDI. And I'm going through it again with two new items I just got.

If you plan to use the Kemper with Cakewalk, get that sorted out first ?

There are three different x-touch and we might assume that is really for DAW control ? You probably want to have that USB ? If it supports routing, you can maybe assign parts of it to control DIN-MIDI devices as a extra function.

Again, we don't know why the stuff was acquired and what the intent was at the outset.

Midi?
Start at your interface (8x8). You got 8 ports for 6 pieces.
You want MIDI in from your controllers. Hook 'em up. You'll want MIDI out to your sound devices. Hook 'em up. Easy.
NOW,
are you gonna want MIDI out FROM your Sound Canvas? Probably not. Maybe. You got the ports so do it if you think there's some benefit.
Your FC is probably gonna need some programming help so that oughta be hooked up. MIDI in (or doesn't it have a USB in also? for programming?)
Ignore the MIDI on the 404HD audio device. You've got that covered elsewhere. Just use it as a sound card. It's for smaller MIDI setups than you're running.
There. All hooked up and ready. Now, you just gotta dive into the software and tell it where everything is.

Ponder5

With Motu midi express/Clock works software, you can also do all kinds of filtering/remapping within the software as well. It's a really nice midi interface for the price.

Back