Midi Hookup correct?

Tobbski

Hello
Thought check with your midi knowledgeable if I thought right in the midi chain when I serialized it.
Fataren or Composern be master and all others to be slave.

Also I wonder if i have to turn off anything on the Korg´s (Local Mode?)

From Midicomposer Out to Midi Sport In Ch 1
From Fatar Out to Midi Sport In Ch 2
From Alesis Quadraverb Out / Thru Roland SC88 In A
From Alesis SR16 Out Roland SC88 In B
From SC88 Out / Thru Midi Sport In Ch 4
From Midisport Out Ch 4 to Quadraverb In
From M1 Out to T3 In
From T3 Thru to X3 in
X3 Out to Alesis Data Disk In
From Alesis Data Disk Out to Midi Sport In Ch 3
From Line6 POD Pro Out to Midi Sport In Ch 5
From Line6 POD Pro Into Midisport Out Ch 5
From Roland E86 Out to Midi Sport In Ch 6
From Roland E86 in the Midisport Out Ch 6

Two different senarior on the picture, the question is whether any of them seem right?

Enclosed please also find answers from others who commented on my question to get the whole picture before you can give your opinion.
-----------------------------------------------
Reply "Lundin"
It depends entirely on what you want to do .. But your sketch looks incorrectly connected if not Composern only be able to control POD'en? POD'en is additionally linked in the "handshake mode" which is normal when you have a "librarianfunktion" in their sequencer to change or edit the patches in the unit.

Did a Google search that I linked to below .. Unfortunately I have not the time to make a pedagogical explanation of your specific connection then it will require a lot of time .. But I think you get the help to get it explained by some Youtube clips and then poke a bit of manuals synthesizers .. the hard part is not MIDI in itself, but how the respective MIDI device communicates with the outside world and how to set it to do what you want .. it's not all MIDI devices that have a completely logical structure to understand how and where to look and what the manufacturer elected to the important functions to be called.

"Local Mode" is a feature that is important in most synthesizers with the keyboard and this will usually be turned off if you use a sequencer, which basically means that it disengages the keyboard against his own sound engine, and when you play the keyboard is sent instead MIDI note data into the computer via the sequencer and back out to the channel to set the sequencer.

.. But your sketch is indicative of a very different scenario in the absence of quite a lot of information for you to get the right function
-------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
Reply Chatrine

It all depends on what you want to accomplish or what you want to control with what. Remember that the "thru" is just a copy of the.

I do not know how much you already know, but I see the series connection of MIDI to anything that belongs to history. (It did (at least I) at the time when the MIDI interface was expensive and USB were not there.: Blush:)

I do not know if it would work for you, but when I used the midi control most, I saw that every synth get your own in / out port - and then run midi echo between synthesizers in your computer.

That if you want to control a synth with another synth, you can: 1) create a midi channel in your sequencer, 2) select the port and then out port and channel. 3) Then click on the midi-echo channel.

Now send MIDI signals from a synth to another (without having to worry about which channels synth listen / do not listen to).
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------
My answer to Chatrine

Hello
In this case, it is so that I have thought Fataren or composern (Master) shall govern all other MIDI equipment. (Slave)
Hence, I wonder if I connected right or if I need to have each device connected to hand in Gauntlet mode for this to work, which of course then means that I guess I must have 2 Midi Sports for everything to fit? Or should fataren / composern connected directly to the PC and all other Midi Gate? Should I disconnect everything in the chain that the baskets of goods via thru and then to SC88 and SR16 on to the Alesis and finally through the pod to late in the Midi Gate?

Okay now I have drawn up two scenarios on how to connect the devices of which the bottom is Chatrine Milton's proposal and you then see that it becomes a device (POD) who become the channel to connect on which you can solve with linking it to Out of the blue interface from PODens In and Out PODens to SC88 In B when it has two IN's it may be something?

From Midicomposer serial connector to the computer
From Fatar Out of the blue interface

From Alesis Quadraverb Out Roland SC88 In A

From Midisport Out Ch 1 to Alesis Quadraverb In
From Midisport In Ch 1 Roland SC88 Thru

From Midisport Ch 2 In the Alesis Data Disk Out
From Alesis Data Disk Into Basket X3 Out
From Korg X3 in the Korg T3 Thru
From Korg T3 in the Korg M1 Out

From Midisport Ch 3 Out of Roland E86 In
From Midisport Ch 3 In Roland E86 Out

From Midisport Ch 4 Out of Line6 POD Pro In
From Midisport Ch 4 In the Line6 POD Pro Out

-------------------------------------------------- ----

From Midisport In Ch 1 to Alesis Quadraverb Out

From Midisport Out Ch 2 to Alesis SR16 In
From Midisport In Ch 2 to Alesis SR16 Out

From Midisport Out Ch 3 to Alesis Data Disk In
From Midisport Out Ch 3 to Alesis Data Disk Out

From Midisport Out Ch 4 Roland SC88 In
From Midisport In Ch 4 Roland SC88 Out

From Midisport Out Ch 5 Roland E86 In
From Midisport In Ch 5 Roland E86 Out

From Midisport Out Ch 6 to Korg M1 In
From Midisport In Ch 6 to Korg M1 Out

From Midisport Out Ch 7 to Korg T3 In
From Midisport In Ch 7 to Korg T3 Out

From Midisport Out Ch 8 to Korg X3 In
From Midisport In Ch 8 to Korg X3 Out

From? Out Ch? to Line6 POD PRO in
From? In Ch? to Line6 POD Pro Out

/tobbski@yahoo.se

Attachments

• post-28628-0-97291100-1346602186.jpg
    post-28628-0-97291100-1346602186.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Studio SSP  Midi koppling.jpg
    Studio SSP Midi koppling.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 30
Man that looks like some mess. I will answer like this. You have an A in/out and a B in/out. I am guessing that means two chains can run in the MIDI sport. 16 channels A and 16 channels B.

One Chain starts with something IN to the MIDI sport. So we will say Korg out to MIDI sport in. Set it to channel one, then the next would go out to the Korg in from the component out. keep doing this until you reach 16. to complete the A side of the loop. Repeat for B.

Now, here is the kicker, the audio has to be plugged into some audio interface for each component you want to record the sound from. I didn't count but most likely each module has two outputs for stereo, making a lot of audio inputs.

I am guessing the Line 6 is just effects, so some audio would go through that and the MIDI would just control the effect. Then the audio from that would need an audio channel to go through.

Unless you will use this all at once, seems like you are making your life very complex. I understand it if you are playing live, but for a studio recording not sure you have to go through this pain.

Probably didn't help. There is another guy on here, he loves MIDI and he will probably work a lot closer with you. But MIDI isn't that complex to setup, but that doesn't mean it is easy to work with.

You have to know the difference between ports and channels, for one thing. I was using a joystick port 'til last year, when the next computer only gave me two PCI slots. As it was, that was only for my mundane connections to the computer, as I have lots of other ports.

Now, I'm not using the computer at all.

I would concentrate on; "form follows function". I have a Yamaha BOX that is one 8-port, or, two four port. Right now, the Trigger Finger Pro PAD controller controls one set and the Casio xw-p1 controls another(both have sequencers & the Casio can do the MIDI file play, also). The mundane gets controlled and several things are just LIVE. I have to choose how many sequencers might be used, etc.. My drums are Electronic, so I don't need the SR16, etc..

So, I'm still trying to develop my function ! hahh It will be awhile before I get the other MIDI stuff, effects racks, and non-MIDI plugged in.

How it it you plan to use this stuff ?

Hi G, i plan to use it with my DAW /Cakewalk Homestudio or Cubase VST, i have both joystick (serialport) and Midiport with USB so i can use both if i have to, my hub is the Midisport 8x8/S where i hook up everything too. The thing is that i just need to know if i have to hook the modules and synths in one long chain or if it´s better to hook them up to seperated ports.

Hi DM
Oh it´s the Roland SC88 that has A In & B In so its not the hub that has that feature, im using th Midisport 8x8/S as my hub and hook it up to the modules and synths, i have full controll on the audiopart so that a walk in the park it is the midichain i´m need help with :) The Line 6 is for guitarrs but it has midi also so i guess i can control some effects thru that?

Yes i may overthink things alot but that just because i need to know i´m get 100% sure before i hook it up due to all the wireing LOL that has to be done.
Im building it in to a closet so therefore it not alot of room to work in (thight like a womens .....)

For the stuff that has MIDI-Thru, I think one should test it. MIDI doesn't always work to spec. Thru is very nice. So, you want everything controlled from the computer ? You only need MIDI out on the devices if it is a controller. Thru is tidy

Yes the idea is that all is controlled from the DAW and the Master keyboard is either Fatar or the composer that will steer the other modules and synths.
One again i done a new config for the cabling, here it is:

From Alesis Quadraverb Out Roland SC88 In A

From Midisport In Ch 1 Roland SC88 Thru

From Midisport Ch 2 In the Alesis Data Disk Out
From Alesis Data Disk Into Basket X3 Out
From Korg X3 in the Korg T3 Thru
From Korg T3 in the Korg M1 Out

From Midisport Ch 3 Out of Roland E86 In
From Midisport Ch 3 In Roland E86 Out

From Midisport Ch 4 Out of Line6 POD Pro In
From Midisport Ch 4 In the Line6 POD Pro Out

Is this logic or should i stay with the first idea?Midi koppling vers2.png

Last edited:
Well, I have no idea what the data disk is for, etc., so I can't apply any "form follows function" routing. I have no idea which hardware will give a better clock than the computer - which is a time share device, etc.. If things seem to be in sync after an hour, or, two recording, that fine in for my purposes.

Just hook it up and give it a go.

The Alesis Datadisk is just a normal 1,44 floppydrive where u save the midisongs that u create.
Oki i will try, i just wonder if any of the scenarios is more logic then the other thats why i asked the question in the first place.
Just so i got the signal right from the start :)

Ya, I had shopped all the floppy data filers before and have a korg and Kawai(recorders). To me, it don't need to be there is what I'm getting at.

You get it all hooked up and you will make adjustment along the way. I'm on my 4th-5th try over here with new gear and I'm up to 2)stereo and 6)MONO inputs at the mixer. I had two goes at this for a video "jam" and the last one really sucked. So, while everything was working, it needs some work. I have a closet right there, also, but I have wire racks to my right and behind the chair that keeps it all close. hahaha That part is all torn up

Ic, well anyway i will hook it all up in the way Catrine asked me to do, in so called hand in glove configuration except for the Master claviatures that i will hook up to the Roland SC88 In A & In B instead of go direct too the computer as I had first thought of.

As u can see from pics i have little spcae to move around at, in the closet u see the main racket and on the right side of it will the PC stand and over that there will be a shelf with the printer standing on and over the mixer there will be a shelf with other stuff, all the wireing goes behind those things into a hole in the back and comes out on the right side of the closet, on the right side from the table there will stand the Korg synths and also there will be a mic and a chimestand so its tight as a virgin. :)

Attachments

• 20170208_124737.jpg
    20170208_124737.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20170208_124755.jpg
    20170208_124755.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Oh, nice ! I'd probably have some problem with the mixer back there, but if you know what instuments/sounds you are using playing, a played MIDI file for set-up should be close

The trick on this one is that it is on rails so i can pull it out the tricky part is if i hook the midicable wrong and i place back the shelf on the right side where the printer goes i have to take it down again and start over so that´s why i asked for a quick solution.

Back