MIDI guru needed elect drums soundfonts

wfaraoni

ear art's not a science
Hello : I usually try to avoid cross posting but I am not getting much help in the drums forum and this post may be better suited here.

Im using yamaha electronic drums dtxpress series II
I have a soundblaster audigy card.
The drums I hear out of the module will output midi fine but the voices dont match typical soundfont banks. especially the bass drum!!

anyway here is what Ive been asking.

?? if I use the midi is there a way to get the kits as set up loaded over as well?. without added equipment.

reply:::I don't understand your 2nd question - but it is normal - and preferrable to record the MIDI signal and then use that to trigger the module - this provides the greatest flexibility in deciding when to commit actual audio to your recording medium.

reply::
the midi answer is still very unclear to me. You mentioned trigger the module???

If I output the midi to the program I use (sonar 2) I do not get the sounds which I hear, output through the headphones, due to a difference in soundfonts. for instance the bass drum in most of the kits comes across as a "CLICK" instead of a bassdrum sound, though most of the others pads are somewhat similar. I tried to load different sound banks but none, including general midi emulate the sounds stored in the dtx's kits.

I am definitely missing something BIG here, Im not quite sure how to use the Dtx's selected kits as the instrument sound for the soundfont for each individual pad, so that what I hear is like what the midi will sound like.

I know this is a deep and confusing subject, but if you could point me in the right direction It would be a great help.

I have used soundfonts with a drum machine or a midi drum program, fruityloops, and I know how to split each sound , (from each pad for instance),and apply desired sound to that pad. But thats a LOT of work . Is there a way to get,, either copy the kits as a soundfont bank, or get a midi program to use the kit thats in the unit as selected?

By the way the yamaha manual really is terrible and totally confusing and I'm not that bad usually, at interpreting manuals

reply::::
mikeh
Force of Nature

I don't use sound fonts or any computer sound cards (I only use various modules) - so I'm not sure I'm the best person to address your MIDI question - however, I will try.

If I understand correctly you are sending MIDI performance from the DTX to Sonar - and are trying to use sound fonts within Sonar to "monitor" the MIDI performance.

If my understanding is correct - I must first suspect that no sounds in the computer coming from a sound card will emulate the DTX sounds. If I do understand your approach - I question why you would want to use sound fonts instead of the sounds from the DTX.

When I reference "trigger the module" I mean feed the MIDI data back to the DTX and then send the analog signal (sounds) from the DTX to whatever D/A interface you are using with Sonar. This way the computer is triggering the DTX sounds rather than triggering sound fonts from the computer.

Or am I not understanding what you are saying???

wfaraoni

mikeh:
"If I understand correctly you are sending MIDI performance from the DTX to Sonar - and are trying to use sound fonts within Sonar to "monitor" the MIDI performance."

yes: the midi data sent into the program contains all the info that the dtx sends out in the equvilent of numerical form. The actual voice that these values is used on is the sound font bank which is loaded. If you do not have the exact soundfont bank loaded the sounds can be anything that relates to that # voice.
There is no standard!!

"If my understanding is correct - I must first suspect that no sounds in the computer coming from a sound card will emulate the DTX sounds. If I do understand your approach - I question why you would want to use sound fonts instead of the sounds from the DTX.
"

I do want to use the sounds which are in the dtx, but as noted above that VOICE is not included with the transmitted midi info to the computer therefore I need to know how to get those midi "voices" ie soundfonts over to be loaded for each pad.

Yes, I can output the analog to the program as well but that does not give me the capabilities available with midi editing which is what I desire to do.

I hope this explains why it is not working and what Im trying to do
Peace
Bill

IF ANYONE here understands what Im trying to ask and can help it will be appreciated

I apologize if this is confusing in this format:
Thanks
Bill

...Hardly I can't get clear of your question. Use QUOTE, will ya...? But If I don't get it wrong, then you want to use the dtx to trigger a certain kit (set) with SONAR. And the kit you assign in SONAR (usually GM) is somehow different to what you set in dtx. Am I correct so far ? Then simple answer to do so is.....

[drumroll please] :rolleyes:

DRUM MAP !!!!

I wouldn't say much, since it's explained very clear in SONAR 2 help file. Help --> search --> keyword = DRUM MAP. Read it there... post back if you have any difficulties...
;)
Jaymz

James argo:
Thanks, It looks like drum map will do what I need, Guess I should have read the whole book:D
do you know of anywhere that drum maps are posted for download instead of making up your own. It looks like it can be a time consuming task because different kits use different note assignments.

One more question, instrument definitions. I dont really get what they should be used for exactly.

Peace
Bill

James argo: well I tried the drum map thing but after doing it and getting the correct pad to sound in the recorded midi, I found out that using a drum map stops you from using soundfonts! which was what I intended to do to get away from the general midi stuff. anymore ideas?

Thanks
Bill

wfaraoni, I'm not at my DAW by now, but I believe I never had this happens. I think Live Synth Pro works just fine for using Drums Map with Soundfonts. Guess I'll have to check it out.

;)
Jaymz

James Argo: I dont see how you could load both a drum map and livesynth in the midi file???
Maybe I had a stroke or something:confused: but I also cant get my livesynth to work anymore on either of my computers!!! I havent used it in a while, but its a pretty simple load.

New file created- midi drums copied to midi track

1. blank audio track-in to blank- out to sb audigy B--fx to livesynth - load a less than 1meg sf2 file

2. midi track with prerecorded drums. set output to livesynth- set channel to 10 livesynth pro- bank to sonic implants***- patch to- club kit.

3. solo both tracks ***** NOTHING*****

midi will play to the sblaster b synth if that output is connected

Ive been striking out all over lately:( :(

Any help is appreciated.
Peace
Bill

Drum Sound Fonts

I am new here. However If I understand right, you need sounds from your drum module/machine loaded into your SF device. I can do it for you, or teach you how yourself. I suppose we will stay on this forum. answer and we will proceed.

Thanks, I sold those electronic drums about 3 years ago but you can still post your proceedure. Who knows who needs it now :)
Peace
Bill

Back