Midi guitar pickup

mknight

Since i dont play keys, just guitar, is there a fairly reasonable way (expense wise) to convert my guitar to midi tracks for use my sequencer? I have heard about Roland's pickup, does that require more than just the pickup and cord? What else is on the market?
Mknight

I don't mind repeating that the only guitar to midi converter worth plugging into is the Axon Neural Net.
Yes- the pickup is just the front end and won't output a MIDI signal. The "box" it connects to will.
Some have wavetable synths integrated into the box.
So those have both MIDI out and audio out.
Sure- it costs >VG-88 ($1K) but it works much better. The pickup is under $200- uses its own or the GK-2A from Roland. Roland's cheaper entry doesn't cut it. The Lyrrus is pretty much a worthless toy. It has to do with the way the processor decodes the frequency that each string is vibrating at from the 6 GK-2A signals. It needs to be able to determine the frequency both quickly and accurately. The non-Axon models trade away accuracy for speed and they're still slower than the Axon.
The latency (how fast a MIDI note on message is sent after a note is struck) varies among the entries in this market from noticeable to unworkable.
No point is spending money on unworkable.
I don't own one (yet!) not because I'm waiting for the price of this technology to drop (it hasn't, which IMHO says volumes all by itself) but simply because my general studio expenses have bled me dry for the moment.
But I did get my SG dialed in by the local guitar Doctor in preparation for its use in this capacity. An axe with all the notes "in" is a necessity for this application.
Santa- Are you listening?

McKnight, Drstawl gave some very good advice.

If I might add just a bit more. Dont expect a guitar
midi synth to work anything like a keyboard synth,
the latency is really quite a problem. I dont think
any pitch to midi interface has been perfected yet
(folks, correct me if I am wrong).

You also have to be quite careful playing your guitar.
Bump a string, even silently, it will pick it up.

I think they are probably acceptable for playing slow
long chords and pads. I am into classical music,
where precision is everything, and there is no
way to use a guitar synth. David

Thanks for you guys thoughts and advice, this is a good example of our forum at work, it saves people from making expensive mistakes...like I was about to. Given the complications that can arise, on top of that the latency and quality problems, I think I might just learn to play keys.....haha..rather than get frustrated with some expensive equipment. Besides, I can still record guitar as a good ole wav track! Glad i slept on it and glad you guys took the time to write!

Mknight

DavidK: yeah it hasn't been "perfected" but have you checked out the Axon?
It might turn you around even if like myself you can't afford it right now.
And mknight- nothing wrong with learning a more accessible format in keyboard vs. guitar. This will give you an edge.

Back