MIDI files that can uploaded and used for recordings?

joey2000

Not up on this, but wondering if there are sites where you can download/purchase MIDI files (or MIDI data) that effectively are "recordings" of songs and use-? ie you'd import into your DAW and could play back, record, overdub, etc. For ex. if you want to sing and record some songs but don't know how to play them....basically a way of getting the musical performance to use.

I'd guess hundreds of sites, thousands of files.

Try google <song title/artist> midi file and see what you get.

Files of highly variable quality, some are brilliant, some are ???? (less good).

Easy to use the file, easy to remove whichever parts suit your purpose, i.e. remove the part for an instrument you want to play, or the midi version of the vocal part. Adjust generally to suit your purpose, i.e. change the tempo, whatever.

BUT, remember that much of the material will be covered in some part by copyright, which would restrict what you might freely do with it. Officially. Others may comment on what you could get away with. Like anything else in this area, it would be up to the copyright owner to take action against you, and when would such action become worthwhile/worth the trouble/cost. Much of the material you can download IS subject to copyright, but the 'market' is not bothered with much. If people are selling their midi files, then it may be more worthwhile chasing them. If he midi file is used in a commercial recording, then even more so. If you're just jamming in your bedroom, then prob no problem?

Good searching.

Geoff

I produce lots of backing tracks and show tracks, and sometimes downloaded MIDI files can be quite good - as a guide. To do what I do - which is usually an attempt to recreate well known songs, you can start from scratch - I bring in the original track, and then usually start with a tempo map, then go through the song in two or four bar chunks - and play in each part. If I can find a good MIDI download for the song - it can help me by saving a bit of time. However - most are just not quite right, and need a lot of work. Lots are also rigid note for note versions from the popular sheet music that somebody has entered with a mouse - and totally unmusical.

Bad news is that it relies totally on how good your MIDI sounds are. Most downloads are for the common GM set - so depending on what produces your sound on your system, the results can be good or bad.

Typing Phil Collins MIDI, for example, into Google - brings back lots of hits. Some are really good, others pure rubbish. Lots of links also come back with errors - especially those hoisted with geocities - looks very much like the copyright agencies have got geocities to remove lots of their content.

If you have some good sounding modules, synths and keyboards - your idea might work brilliantly for you - but these tracks need lots of work to make them sound nice.

I'd pretty much agree with Rob, but as my keyboard skills are pretty much zero, I'm somewhat limited as to how to create midi files. Yes, if I do the step entry from sheet music, it sounds seriously mechanical, and I've not yet sorted out my 'un-quantize' process to turn robot music into human music with all it's (essential) imperfections!!

One thing to add, although most midi files that you might download sound something like when you first try them, some may sound seriously weird. This may be because the patches assigned do NOT apply to your sound source, or even worse, the midi file does NOT actually set any patches at all, and the sounds made are whatever happened to be set for each channel when you start up. Can be REALLY strange. Then, this is part of the possible fun with playing with midi files, you're free to re-arrange the music to suit your tastes, depending on the sounds available to your system. Change strings into solo cello, change brass into a heavy synth sound, change the vocal (chorus sound) into bottleblow or something like, and maybe you're creating something quite interesting. It doesn't HAVE to be about mimicing the original exactly.

Are there any particular songs you're looking for?

Geoff

Thanks.......I guess primarily I'm thinking of using them for two purposes: one, as a way to more quickly/easily learn some songs, and two, to give me some ideas of chord structures and possibly how to use them for my own songs, as my knowledge of chords is admittedly limited (not so much knowing the chords per se but how to use them together).

Is using them generally as simple as I mentioned? ie download the file and open with my DAW and voila?

PS: here's my initial cut on a few sites I checked out:

https://freemidi.org/ sucks, files are NOT free
Free MIDI Zone - Free MIDI files sucks, files are NOT free......AND it's littered with viruses
MIDI files - Download for free :: MIDIWORLD.COM valid, actual .MID files to download, no registration (etc etc) required
Cool MIDI - free MIDI downloads valid also, but their library is a joke....half their artists I've never heard of (I'm guessing it's geared to the younger crowd)

Again, can you suggest something that you'd like to find? Google usually works fine for me, although I accept that it does not work for others. There's a 'knack' about what you type in to search for!

You list 4 sites, Don't think I've ever heard of any of them. WHAT were you searching for?

You say on one site you'd not heard of 'half the artists'. That sounds pretty good. I've been to some and I've never heard of 90% of them. I might have 'heard of' a few more, but I've NEVER 'heard' them, as in 'have even the slightest idea what their music is like'.

Geoff

Thanks.......
Is using them generally as simple as I mentioned? ie download the file and open with my DAW and voila?

It may depend on the DAW. You'll usually need to tell something in the DAW how or what to generate the actual sound such as a VST instrument(s) and you'll likely need to tell the DAW how to assign the instruments in the MIDI file, which in most cases may be a GM(General MIDI) soundset. https://www.midi.org/specifications/item/gm-level-1-sound-set

If the "quickly/easily learn some songs" is something you'll do by listening, perhaps take a look at some of the Youtube karaoke. It's usually just the instrumental of a song and does show lyrics (but not chords). Such as.... https://www.youtube.com/user/karafun

If there is something specific you are looking for in the way of a MIDI file, I might have something somewhere that I can post or email to you. Load it into your DAW and see what you can do with it.

Believe I've got a few MIDI files from ...... MIDKAR.com Free MIDI And Karaoke Files Home Page And General Index

Yes.

Further to the above, note that a midi file is just raw instructions, to whatever sound devices you have. So the basic answer to your question as referred to above is probably no.

You'd need to load up the file, and play it, see what it sounds like. Next you may need to change the instruments from what's set in the file (if anything IS set) to something that sounds suitable for you/your available sounds. Then it might start to sound something useful. Then, if you're interested in the sort of things you say you are, you will need to decide which tracks in the file are appropriate, and mute the others, so you can focus on the 'meat' of the music.

Depending on what you're comfortable with, you might prefer to view the data via a 'score' display, this will show chords etc as they might appear on sheet music. Does you DAW have that. Trying to look at chords etc on some event displays might not be helpful, but if you're more familiar with that sort of display then it may be usable. Again, you may need to focus on specific tracks - but remember that the midi file may have multiple tracks for the same channel/instrument (maybe the person who created the midi file couldn't do chords either ??)

If you're trying to follow particular artist's style, then maybe you do need to try to fine their midi files. Otherwise, have you heard of systems like 'Band-in-a-Box', this is totally structured around the accompaniment, for a substantial range of styles, you might get some useful ideas on chords etc from looking at the files that BiaB generates. The version I have is a pretty old DOS system, but it was quite helpful, esp if you were working on a piece of music and you had the (say) guitar chords with the melody, as you could enter the chords symbols in, BiaB generated a midi file, then you added the melody on top manually. Cheating, yes, but educational?

Geoff

There are at least four ways you could use them, depending on what you want to accomplish:

(1) If you have a GM-compatible musical keyboard-- not just a MIDI keyboard controller, but a keyboard that makes its own sounds-- then you can load the MIDI file into the keyboard and play it back. Depending on the keyboard's capabilities and features, you can probably even play along with the MIDI file, either by muting a track (MIDI channel) and playing that part yourself, or just letting all of the tracks play normally and playing an additional part yourself.

(2) If you have a DAW or similar type of program (e.g., a sequencer) that can import, edit, and play MIDI files-- which most DAWs can do-- then you can load the MIDI file into the DAW and play it back. There are three types of standard MIDI files-- format 0, format 1, and format 2-- and some DAWs will, by default, load a format 0 MIDI file as one track that combines all of the parts (channels), although if you want you can separate them so that each channel is imported into its own track. When you play the MIDI file in the DAW you can decide where you want each track to be sent for playback-- e.g., you could send some tracks to one or more external instruments, and send other tracks to one or more virtual instruments. Thus, you don't need to play all of the tracks on the same external instrument or virtual instrument, but can choose whichever external instrument or virtual instrument sounds best for each track.

(3) If you want to look at the MIDI file in its musical notation form, you can open it with notation software and either view it onscreen or print it out. Some DAWs have a built-in option for displaying the music notation, but it might be better to use a program that's specifically designed for musical notation. When you view or print the notation, you can usually decide whether to print all of the parts together like an orchestral score, or print a separate score for each part. Also, notation programs can usually play back the score, either with virtual instruments or external instruments, and usually let you edit the score as well. Some notation programs let you choose the type of notation to use for the various parts-- e.g., you might be able to display the guitar parts using guitar tabs and/or tablature.

(4) If you want to learn how to play the song, you can load the MIDI file into a program that's designed to help you learn to play a song. These could be in the form of a game where you're expected to play the notes as they scroll down the screen and your score is based on how well your playing matches up with the scrolling notes in terms of right or wrong notes as well as the timing of each note. Or the program might display the song in a more normal-looking notation and play it back according to your performance-- e.g., the program may wait for you to play the correct note before it proceeds with its playback.

In all four of these scenarios, you generally have the option of transposing the MIDI file to a different key-- e.g., if the song is in the key of Eb but you have trouble playing it in Eb, you could transpose it to the key of C. Even if you're going to just let the song play by itself rather than try to play along with it, you might need to transpose it to make it sound correct, because it's not unheard of for a MIDI file to be in a different key than what you've heard it played in.

And of course you also have the option of editing the program change events, or adding bank select events to go with the program changes, or adding/editing other types of MIDI events.

Here's a screen shot of Band in a Box with the MIDI file Come Together (Beatles) loaded up (picked at random and other files may be sequenced better than this one). Also a short clip of the file attached as an mp3 file playing the default BIAB instruments.
PG Music Inc. - Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, and more

Attachments

• biab.jpg
    biab.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Come Together.mp3
    593.9 KB · Views: 6
Back