MIDI and external effect processors

JeffDrake

I am a live audio engineer now moving to doing some recording as well, just for myself, not professionally. I own a Tascam US-428 as my primary recording device while I save up for my Echo Layla, and I'm just now getting into midi. I primarily use Sonar 2.0 XL, but I do own Cool Edit Pro 2.0 as well. The TASCAM has 2 midi in and out ports, and I use port 1 for a wavestation SR and an Evolution MK-461C.

I was going through my rack of audio stuff at work and happened to notice that my Yamaha Rev100 and the Rev500 both have Midi inputs (the rev 500 also has outs). However, the manuals were absolutely no help at figuring out how to program them via midi.

I'd love to be able to save a file with midi data for the rev100 in it, and when I load my multitrack session, have it tell the rev100 what patch I want to use for the reverb. What program can I use to do this? Cakewalk SONAR has studioware panels, which should let me do this, but I can't figure out how to program the things and a premade one doesn't exist.

Any help you can offer would be great, I don't mind buying more software but I'd like to use what I already know if possible.

Jeff

thanks for your help, however, my Rev100 doesn't have a midi out, so I can't do a dump.

the rev500 does, but i don't actually own it, its owned by the live sound company i work for. I can steal it for use occasionally, and I will try and see if i can make it work, but i still think there has to be some way to do it in the software . . . . . . . .

If you just want it to change patches then send it a Program Change message on whatever midi ch you have the REV set on.

Give yourself a few blank seconds at the beginning of the song for the patch to completely load before the music starts.

Back