MIDI Drums Through SR 16 or Keyboard Controller?

gvdv

Hi,
I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum.

Hi,
I am wondering what people would suggest about constructing MIDI drum tracks either through a keyboard controller, or using (in my case) my old drum machine, an Alesis SR 16 (using one of these cables

SANOXY USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard 1-in 1-out USB to MIDI Interface for Mac and PC (New 2015 Release): Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

I can think of advantages and disadvantages of using each, with the main ones being:
- The drum machine (via the pads) provides a more immediate, and drum-like way of inputing MIDI information to my DAW

- A keyboard would be more convenient for adding MIDI parts for other instruments such as piano, brass, woodwind, strings, and so on

I do not know much about keyboard controllers with pads, but presume that this might be a very good combination of tactile input (via pads), and having the flexibility of keys for adding MIDI information for the kinds of instruments I described above.

I would very much appreciate people's opinions and advice about this, and about any other issues which I should consider.

Thanks,

You already have the SR16? If so, I'd use that for midi drum programming. I have one lying around and although the pads are a bit small, I like their feel and sensitivity. Pads on midi keyboards can be very hit and miss: for example I have an Akai MPK25 and the pads are TERRIBLE.

I have a sr16, too. it's good. For me, the only thing that really worked for "playing" are sticks and big pads.

In edit mode, use whatever you want ? Now, I don't need a keyboard controller with pads, but I bought the Trigger Finger Pro and the pads seem very sensitive to me. It's sensitive enough to give me keyboard expression.

Someone has the pad matrix over to the left of the keyboard - Alesis ? Anyway, regular keys aren't bad for drums. And, other virtual instruments types work very well with keys

Try to figure out if the controller is more of a live rig, or, not. Stand-up performing, or, sit-down music composing.

Back