Midi drums, midi keys, Sonar 2 problem

Cartwright

Hi Everybody
Using Sonar 2 for my sequencer, I have one track setup as midi for my Roland TD-8 V Drums that I play/record via MidiMan 2X2 interface, with no problems. I have another track setup as midi for my old Roland Juno 2 keyboard that I play/record with via Santa Cruz soundcard with an XG daughterboard, with no problems, EXCEPT, if I want to use them at the same time, with another musician, or if I'm alternating between the two tracks when I'm by myself. No problems using them one at a time, I just cannot figure out how to get them to play on their own dedicated tracks. The keyboards will play on either track. Same goes for the drums, except the V-drums will play keyboard sounds on the keyboard track. How can I keep the 2 tracks from overlapping / interacting with each other, and just get them to work on only their assigned track independently, and simultaneously. Whew, sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in advance for any advice, Tom

Last edited:
It sounds to me like a simple problem of duplicated midi channels between the V-Drums and the Juno. If either or both are in omni mode, choose a channel for each one --- midi drums usually, but not always, take channel 10 and synths take any one of the other 15.

You probably need to set the midi channels for the Sonar track as well, and if the place to do that is not immediately apparent on the main screen try the Cakewalk forum and someone there will be able to tell you how to set the midi channel.

go to midi settings and map the channels to the desired synth first, then on the track double click and select the instruments you want to use after setting up the channel

Back