MIDI Drum Trigger/Module/Interface Problem

cthulhu

Hello,

Yesterday, while setting up to record my bands EP, we were setting up the trigger for the kick drum. We wanted to use the midi out for this, instead of the audio out because it gave us different velocity hits. We plugged the trigger into a Yamaha DTExpress, and then used the MIDI Out from that to the MIDI In on the studio's PreSonus Firestudio. We also have the oppurtunity of using an Alesis D4 if that would be any easier. But anyway, when I opened Logic Pro 8, it wouldn't sense any MIDI Input from the module at all. I'm looking for some help regarding the setup and use of a drum module to record Midi. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the Audio-Midi Setup utility of the Mac OS? Or maybe it's something in Logic. Either way, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, David

...instead of the audio out because it gave us different velocity hits.

This seems to me like the point where you went wrong. Most drum trigger software is capable of detecting velocity info from audio hits.

Try hooking the audio from the kick mic straight into whatever drum trigger software you are using.

Or the Alesis D4 is a good alternative as it senses velocity and has many alternative kick sounds available. If you were to plug the midi out of the Alesis into a midi input of Logic --- and set it up correctly --- you should be able to see and edit the kick hits in midi. Then you could direct the midi out of the Logic track anywhere you like - you wouldn't be limited to the Alesis as a sound source.

Back