midi to computer?

altcountry

I'm real new to this, in fact I haven't even gotten started yet. I'm setting up a fostex mr8 recording set-up for guitars and vox, but I also want to accompany this with some midi. I have a midi keyboard. The question is, how do I go from keyboard to computer? Is that where 'midi interface' comes in? How about sequencing software? I've saved very little of my budget for midi because I'm thinking I'll use it the least, just want it for filling in on mixes with instruments I don't have yet, ie. bass, drums. any low cost solutions highly appreciated and thanks up front.

I have a midi keyboard. The question is, how do I go from keyboard to computer? Is that where 'midi interface' comes in?
Yes. You need to connect MIDI out of your keyboard into MIDI in of computer. MIDI out of your keyboard to MIDI in of your keyboard. If your PC equiped with typical Joystick/MIDI, then you only need to buy optional MIDI starter kit (breakout cables) to connect both devices. I think it's pretty easy to do. You can find this MIDI kit at your local computer store / musical instrument store for less than $20

How about sequencing software?

Although a bit outdated, but this site contains bunch of MIDI sequencing software on their list. Download the demo. Some of them even come for FREE! Watch those with stars rating... :)

http://www.sonicspot.com/sequencers.html

That's it... I guess you're gonna be bussy for a while :) Hope it helps.

;)
Jaymz

Back