Midi and Alesis SR18

musicality

Hi there,

I am new to midi, and wondered how I could get my Alesis SR18 to be heard in Reaper. I can get it to set off sounds in VSTs, but I cannot get the sounds from the drum machine itself to be heard. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett Audio interface, that has traditional midi input/output on the back. The SR18 has midi in and midi out/thru

Does anyone know what to do?

Grateful for any help, I need it!

Dan.

Okay, how about a custom vst?

Thank you Arcaxis.

I understand now that midi can be used to start and stop my SR18 , and it can be used to send note data from the machine to the computer. Midi cannot however use the SR18 an external vst instrument.

I wondered though, does anyone know of a vst that can replicate the drums in the SR18? Then I can load up the Vst and use the SR18 as a controller... wishful thinking as it would be impossible to replicate any effects, right?

Not necessarily. There are many thousands of free vst effects out there and at least 500 free vsti's that I know of. If you spend some time --- at least an hour or two --- googling around you'll probably locate a bunch of free shit. To get you started, here's the url for VST Plugins Free . I check it twice or three times a week just to make sure I'm not missing anything. You probably won't find an exact match for the SR18 there, but there are many free drum vsti's that will be great alternatives!

Thank you Arcaxis.

I understand now that midi can be used to start and stop my SR18 , and it can be used to send note data from the machine to the computer. Midi cannot however use the SR18 an external vst instrument.-
Why not? There's a section in the manual devoted specifically to that process!

If I understand you correctly, MIDI is widely used to do exactly what I think you want to do. However, the SR18 will never be a VST, it's the real thing VSTs are meant to emulate.

You are just looking at controlling the SR18 from REAPER, right?

I did not get that he expected MIDI to transmit audio data. The only solution as I see it is to run a MID cable from the interface MIDI out to the SR18 MIDI in as well, assign it a port and have the DAW and the SR18 agree on a midi channel, and thus control the SR18 with the DAW. He can record the midi data stream from the SR18 and play it back to the unit.

Sure, or there's also a way to have the SR-18 follow the MIDI Timecode and Start/Stop commands from Reaper, playing back patterns/songs internal to the SR-18, and run the audio into Reaper if'n he wanted to do that.

What the OP needs to do is RTFM! And maybe google for a beginner's guide to MIDI.

Too Bad they didn't apply an expander ability on the SR-18

Dang, From what I'm reading here it looks like this new and improved version can't even be used as an expander? I have a need to beef up the drums from my Yamaha arranger keyboard at gigs. Adding a 2nd drum module adds more thump for the dancers. Most other units will simply play their sounds if you send GM on ch10. I have several of these SR-16's and couldn't get them to do this either. Disappointing that they didn't think of that and make that happen in the SR-18. Still researching for a good 2nd module that has better snares and sounds.

Back