Maintain speed on samples while changing pitch?

bardo

Not sure how to do this.
I have some cool samples to play but when I switch pitches it also speeds up.
Bardo

What host are you using? it may already be possible if you have something like acid, garage band, live or hosts of that ilk.

Playing the keyboard.
Example:I paly a middle "C" on the keyboard,the sample plays back at a certain speed and pitch(middle "C")
I then play an upper "E" on the keyboard and the pitch is an "E"but the sample plays back faster.

You are confusing pitch with timestretch. A normal sampler will just change the pitch as you play up the keyboard and therefore change the speed of the sample. Time stretch will either change the speed and keep the pitch the same or change the pitch and keep the speed the same. You want a loop player, a sampler generally does not work in the way you are trying to use it

In other words,there is no way to do this?
If you want to "play" the samples from a sampler while maintaining their speed, you can't do it in a conventional sample-playback manner. You'll need something like Kontakt's Time Machine mode (some kind of granular based sample playback). Otherwise, you'll have to pitch your samples in an audio editor that can do it w/o affecting playback speed (has separate pitch and timestretch controls), which most current audio editors and DAWs do.

Reaper 2.0 is advertised on the Cockos web site as having 'New pitch/timestretch modes: elastique Pro, Efficient, and SOLOIST'.

If you missed the beta test download the new 2.0 and see if you like the way the timestretch features are implemented.

Nobody mentioned that the way samples are used as sound sources for sample-playback synths is to multi-sample the source. For example, a sample a middle C, another sample some number of steps away, etc. The sound patch contructed this way only has to pitch single samples up or down a bit, so the speed effect (and all the others, too - the timbre and everything about most instruments can change pretty dramatically throughout its range, so even if the speed-up factor wasn't noticeable, it still would not sound like a real instrument) is not much of an issue.

That's because in the original post Bardo said:
I have some cool samples to play but when I switch pitches it also speeds up.
That to me indicates mostly loops, single shots of some sounds that are not off of some instrument, for example an orchestral hit taken from a Strauss LP, etc. It would be very difficult to multisample in those circumstances ;)

Back