Looking for the right controller.

35chevy

Hello all, I'm looking for a simple midi controller that I can place on my desktop. Yes, I am stuck way back in time. I've never used one of those little controllers because I have been recording mostly live instruments. I have Pro Tools M-powered 8.0.5. Currently, I only use MIDI for recording piano sounds using Synthogy's Ivory II software. I am currently using a mid 80's Roland 88-key stage piano as a midi controller. I have been using a Alesis drum machine for drum backing tracks, but it has stopped working. I'd like to try creating backing tracks using the plugins that came with pro tools, so I've been looking at the M-Audio Axiom Air mini 32. I read some about getting the Axiom controllers and pro tools to work together and it looks frustrating. My experience is getting anything to work with Pro Tools is frustrating LOL. Also, I want to be sure that adding a second controller doesn't mess with the functionality of my current midi controller, because it work perfectly. I also like the looks of the Samson Graphite M25. I just need something inexpensive to play around with for now and see if I like it. What's out there that is simple to set up? Thanks for any advice.

I use an MPK49 by Akai. It came with an installed map for Sonar, which I also use. Akai provides instructions on their website for setting up with various DAWs including PT. This controller can be had for $200 or so since they came out with a new model last year, it's cool because it also has sliders, transport control and MPC pads on it. It works great and they have smaller (MPK25) and more inexpensive models also.

Thanks for your reply. I looked into the MPK49. It seems that a lot of people have it and it looks to be a good piece. I looked at the instructions for setting it up for PT and I watched some videos on youtube. I really like it, and I almost pulled the trigger on that unit. I was looking for something new, but the discontinued M-Audio Axiom Pro caught my attention. It is plug and play with pro tools and I don't have to do any mapping. I really don't care for the new Axiom Air units because they won't fit on my desktop, so I picked up a used Axiom Pro 49. I can't wait to get it!

Back