Looking for MIDI recording software

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I am looking into buying software that I can record MIDI with. I currently use Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition) as my main recording tool but it barely has any MIDI functions so I have to look elsewhere. I'm looking for something that is easy to use since I'm very new to MIDI (meaning I haven't even worked with it yet) and something that wouldn't take an extreme amount of time out of my time to figure out.

1) Ability to export MIDI files into another program such as Cool Edit Pro.
2) Ability to use VST/DX plugins.
3) Ability to use VST instruments and/or SoftSynths, something like Sampletank.
4) Easy to use MIDI recording for someone beginning in this field but advanced enough for a moderate user.
5) MIDI editing features

Any recommendations would be helpful. I would like to get into the world of MIDI as soon as possible.

Requirement #1 is a given, any sequencing program that supports MIDI will output a standard MIDI file which can be opened in any sequencing program worth its salt.

I don't know if it's even possible any more to find a MIDI sequencing program that is not also a digital audio recorder. Ones like Cubase and SONAR originated as full-bore professional MIDI sequencers so they are usually better at MIDI than Cool Edit Pro or, say, ACID.

Whyte Ice said:
1) Ability to export MIDI files into another program such as Cool Edit Pro.
2) Ability to use VST/DX plugins.
3) Ability to use VST instruments and/or SoftSynths, something like Sampletank.
4) Easy to use MIDI recording for someone beginning in this field but advanced enough for a moderate user.
5) MIDI editing features

Hmm, how about budget? Looks like Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL is the right one.

It *can* export MIDI files in various standard format, but it's a bit difficult to import MIDI files into Cool Edit Pro, because CEP *Does not* support MIDI playback (specialy with softsynth!). But you can use Cool Edit Pro "within" Cakewalk to edit audio tracked Cakewalk. eg. select audio clip on one of the track in Cakewalk, click Tools pull down menu, select Cool Edit Pro, it will automaticaly launch CEP, and open the audio clip to edit. After you edit and save the audio, Cakewalk will ask you to re-open the edited audio clip automaticaly.... realy nice feature.

And don't ask it's MIDI capability. One answer... Outstanding!!!

;)
Jaymz

lookup emagix's Logic. its one of my favorite programs to use with midi. it has a nicer, cleaner look than most programs out there, and very powerful. it is german made, so it will take a little time to figure everything out, but when you do you can edit virtually everything. it supports VST and soft synth, and is musician-friendly.

Hasn't emagic ceased development and support for the Windows versions of the Logic family?

AlChuck said:
Hasn't emagic ceased development and support for the Windows versions of the Logic family?

i think they did... i use logic 5.5 platinum for pc, but i only see logic 6 in stores and online... so if you could find that version for pc (if you use a pc, if not then get version 6) get it.

Back