Looking for a midi foot controller

PDGood

Hi,
Newbie here. I'm looking for help finding or building a midi foot controller to do simple functions. I have been looking for awhile and it seems like it should be simple but hasn't been thus far.

I'm a bass player in a blues trio and want to trigger sounds/notes/chords with a foot controller to add to our sound. I bought an Akai MPX16 sampler and have my sounds on that unit. All I need a foot controller for is to trigger those sounds.

I need a unit with quiet triggers (no loud clicking), at least 7 triggers, spaced so that it's easy to hit the right trigger, and will send a midi # when a trigger is pressed. I can assign a matching midi number on the sampler and can also assign velocity etc. as needed on the sampler. The foot controller doesn't need to do this.

I have tried the McMillen 12 step which does trigger the sounds, but has two issues. The front row of triggers are less than 1/8" from the floor making it easy to miss and hit the wrong one. And the midi box is separate from the foot controller creating an unnecessary pile of wiring spaghetti.
I tried another brand (whose name escapes me at the moment) and it sent Midi Programs which the Akai didn't pick up. I guess it was intended to have a computer interface, so that didn't work.

My local retailer has suggested a Roland FC-300 which certainly looks like the answer but is $450 and has a lot of functions I don't need. I was hoping to spend less given the simple requirements.

Can anyone suggest a basic unit that fits my needs?

If you don't mind building a box to hold the switches and a credit-card sized PCB, you could probably find an electronics friend to whip up a MIDI output and write some program code. Your requirements are very simple, so the coding should not take much more than one hour.

These boards are about $10, but will need MIDI to be added by your friend.

ATmega328P_Xplained_Angle_th.jpg

If you don't mind building a box to hold the switches and a credit-card sized PCB, you could probably find an electronics friend to whip up a MIDI output and write some program code. Your requirements are very simple, so the coding should not take much more than one hour.

These boards are about $10, but will need MIDI to be added by your friend.

View attachment 93580

Thanks for the reply. I have thought the same thing, but don't know where to find a person with those skills. That's sorta why I came to this website - hoping someone would know of someone. I have even bought a Roland board intended for their midi guitar which I figured could be used for the metal board itself, footswitches, and midi connectors. Any idea where i could go to find someone with coding skills?

I could certainly code the firmware, but as you also need the MIDI output circuit it may be better to get the person who provides that hardware to also code the firmware too. Unfortunately, I am in Australia, which makes the hardware difficult due to the time and money wasted on transport if I built it. (Of course, emailing firmware would have been no drama.)

This guy in the US looks like he could do it.

Regards,
Darren

Last edited:
Thanks very much, Darren. I'll contact that guy. I'll also follow your advice and avoid sulfuric acid throwing machines. :)

Rob

This guy in the US looks like he could do it.

Hi it is my first post here so hello to all of you!

I´m "that" guy... Julian or Inspektor Gadjet :) ... Thanks for linking to my site!
Firstly I would like to say that I´m not based in the US, but in Europe (Spain).

Regarding the MIDI foot controller, there are plenty of options. The ideal solution will vary depending on your needs, and most important, budget.

I must say I´m not a programmer, I´ve learned by myself using Arduino to make small projects or be able to understand enough pieces of code made by other people, or for other projects and adapt it to my needs, I call it the "Frankeinstein concept". If you have any basic DIY skills, getting an Arduino and programming some MIDI its extremely easy, cheap and fun.

Every time I need to start a new project I first google around, most of the time somebody else have found the same problem than you and has solutions. A quick search online has lead me to some interesting links:

Arduino Midi Foot Controller for Ableton Live

Arduino Midi Foot Pedal

Arduino Playground - MidiFoot

Arduino Playground - MidiFootCode

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=180338.0

http://www.dikant.de/2015/01/18/diy-midi-footswitch-controller/

I have sent you a PM, but this information might be useful for somebody else looking in to a solution for the same problem.
I hope it helps !!
Cheers,
Julian

Great info, Julian and I appreciate the email you sent as well. I just sent a reply. I'll follow up on these links as well. Thanks!!

I had been advised against Behringer products due to reliability but I'm getting desperate and will check this out. Thanks!

Back