Kat kt3 usb or midi connection for home recording?

christiancobra

Hello guys,

i'm new to this forum. I recently ordered a kat kt3 electric drumset and i am trying to build a home studio.
Note: I have a macbook pro.

My first question is:

1) which way is better (for recording my drums) on top an mp3 song or even a track: Usb to usb or midi to audio interface/mac? And what is the difference?

2) i would like to use drum plugins like ezdrummer or superior drummer to be able to find the right drum sound for me at the time of recording. Also i will like to be able to eq each drum (kick,snare,toms) to my preference.

Thank you!

Hello guys,

i'm new to this forum. I recently ordered a kat kt3 electric drumset and i am trying to build a home studio.

My first question is:

1) which way is better (for recording my drums) on top an mp3 song or even a track: Usb to usb or midi to audio interface/mac? And what is the difference?

2) i would like to use drum plugins like ezdrummer or superior drummer to be able to find the right drum sound for me at the time of recording. Also i will like to be able to eq each drum (kick,snare,toms) to my preference.

Thank you!

Hello, Christian. I too just ordered a Kat KT3 electric drum kit and I should be receiving it this Thursday from Zzounds. I am thrilled to set it up, play it and explore the stuff it can do!

I am planning on recording midi to my TASCAM DP-32 Porta Studio although I've never used midi on it I'll try it. For recording yourself the easiest way would be to use your perferred program to record USB what you can do is play the MP3 song you want using the audio input the Kat KT3 has and USB to your computer and it should pick it up. I'm not too sure I've never used it and I will Thursday. Or you can try midi.

Bottom line is, you and I both are thrilled for our kits. I keep Google searching things about it that I just can't wait to see in person and hear it. You should try both methods to recorder yourself, keep playing around with it when you get it and then you'll figure it out.

As of the plugins I have no clue I didn't do much research on that because I won't be using one now. But I'd imagine you can do that via USB or midi. Also, I believe you can set EQs to your perfrence within the drum module.

Enjoy your kit when you get it!

P.S I am new to this forum as well. Lol

Hello guys,

My first question is:

Thank you!

Functionally, there isn't much difference between using USB MIDI and using a 5-pin MIDI cable into an audio interface. "Under the hood" they're pretty different but at the end of the day I use both and I don't really prefer one over the other.

One benefit to using a MIDI cable is that you can use as long of a cable as you want. This gives you more freedom of how you can physically arrange your studio space. USB cables are limited to about 15 feet...any longer and you need a repeater, which can be a pain.

But a benefit to USB is that it can supply up to about 5V of power, avoiding the need for external power for some devices. Not sure if your drum kit will run off of bus power (mine doesn't) but some devices will.

What audio interface are you using? It'll be important to get the ASIO buffer settings dialed in. You'll want as little latency as possible in order to play drums (or any virtual instrument) along with existing tracks. It sucks to try and play along and keep time when you're hearing yourself on a half-second delay!

Back