Just connected MIDI keyboard to PC for first time, problem

bonch

I've never recorded MIDI before; always been an audio guy. I wanted nothing more than a cheap MIDI keyboard in order to make it easier to input some drum MIDI tracks and basic melodies in Sonar 4. It is a Casio CTK-496, a basic 61-key MIDI keyboard. I have a MIDI cable plugged into my Sound Blaster Live! and the IN and OUT cables are in the correct places on the keyboard. The MIDI devices are set up correctly in Sonar, and Sonar's system tray icon lights up to tell me it's receiving MIDI data.

I begin recording a MIDI track and then playing on the keyboard. Notes appear in Sonar so I know it's receiving MIDI data from the keyboard, but soon my keyboard "locks up" so that no notes will play. Sometimes it freezes on the last note and won't stop playing. I have to shut the keyboard off and back on to get it working again. When I play back the MIDI clip in Sonar, it's not what I played. It sounds like it's receiving notes but they're spaced out, as in the nice piano melody I play only recieves the first few notes but at a much slower rate than what I played them. A simple fast 4/4 rock snare/drum beat only gets a few snare and drum hits until the freezeout.

The problem also occurs in Cubase SX 2 in exactly the same way. The keyboard works completely fine by itself when not connected to the MIDI cable. I have searched the Creative site for any info on this as well as Cakewalk's site. No luck.

I got this MIDI cable back in 2000 but never used it until tonight (it just sat in a shelf); would a faulty cable cause such problems? I'm new to this and couldn't find any info by searching the forums. The only things I can think of are either the MIDI cable or an overflowing MIDI buffer of some sort (?). I have no idea. I'm going to head to the store and see if I can pick up a new MIDI cable to see what that does. It looks like the keyboard locks up after inputting a certain amount of notes (which makes me think a buffer is being hit or something). I don't know if I have something somewhere set up wrong.

Any suggestions?

try a different cable for sure, but if you can try a different keyboard I'd do that too. Casio isn't exactly known for rock-solid performance.

I will do that. I hope it's not the keyboard, though...I just bought it for $99 just two days ago.

You have a midi feedback loop which is killing of the notes as they're being played back. If the Casio has a 'local off' setting turn it to 'off'. This breaks the connection between the keyboard and the built in sounds. If not you may need to punt that 'board and get one that does have local on/off capability.

Actually, I discovered the problem today--the MIDI cable was not pushed in completely, though I thought it was. The keyboard works fine now...so let it be a lesson to other people! Sometimes something will "half-work" and throw you off. I had tested the keyboard twice after plugging the cable in. Only today did I look and see that one side of the cable was coming out.

Last edited:
Back