I need the perfect controller(s)

Bung

I'm about a month into this music making thing, and I'm using Ableton Live 9 as the main DAW. I don't like clicking around with a mouse too much. Back and forth with the session/arrangement views, the monitor in/auto/off buttons, arming tracks, activating plugins, even clicking record/stop, etc etc etc.. I'd love to get it all in a nice hardware unit that takes care of Ableton itself. That seems do-able.. but which one?

I also want knobs for synthesizers, vst's, mixers, etc, you name it.. if they're knobs I use on the monitor with a mouse I'd rather have physical versions. Seems like a MIDI controller with a ton of knobs would be great. For all my software, not just Ableton. Mostly synths.. the knobs are fun. But also the stuff in most vst's.. basically any knob, anywhere. All the time.

And... I don't even know, can I set up let's say "row 1" knobs on the controller to a synth.. row 2 to a random vst's settings, row 3 to let's say reason's mixer, and then maybe one particular knob to the master volume in ableton, and another one to whatever, etc etc.. and they all would work at the same time... regardless of what window has "focus"? does it even work like that? it has to...

I want sliders.... mostly for the main mixer/volumes. Synths have sliders too. I see most controllers have 8, and that's it. No bank buttons for more? Redrum alone could take up 8 sliders. Seems like the more the merrier.

Buttons............. of course. Gimme a bunch.

All assignable.. to multiple software, all at the same time. Same PC.

Is this possible with one unit? or.. how many? which ones?

Sorry if I'm rambling and thinking outloud onto a message board at 3am............. basically i hate all the clicking around with the mouse, all the wasted time............ what should i buy :)

Hi bung,

I hate mousing around, too.

First off, why would you insist on having a single controller? That's silly. Find the keybed you like and play that. If it has enough knobs and buttons, fine, if not, get some more.

Behringer makes a very powerful knob controller. BCR2000. Get one. Heck, get TWO. That'll keep you knob happy for some time.

Or if you want sliders, get their BCF2000. That's got knobs and sliders. Get two or three of those.

More controls than you'll ever outgrow. Ever.

If you can think of it, it's out there. It might not be wrapped in the exact package you want, but it's easy enough to put together these days.

Ponder5

Back