Help!! Velocity???

khanusx

This is driving me crazy!!! how do i turn off the velocity before recording so when i play on my keyboard its not touch sensitive, so the notes are all the same volume when i play in cubase sx3.????

Also the midi seems a touch behind when im recording, if anyone can help me with this as well, thank you..

The velocity would be a keyboard setting. I have no idea about midi editing in SX3 but I wouldn't be suprised if it's not just easier to adjust velocity in cubase.

What tetrafish says. ^^

But in any case, I'm not sure why you would want the same velocity all the way through. Generally speaking, that makes a very unmusical sound.

sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have the same problem, and decided to search before I post.

I would like to disable the touch sensitivity in cubase 3 SX.
if someone doesn't know how to do this in 3 sx, tell me how you would do it on cubase 4/5/6 and I'll find the location in the menus in version 3.

I'm with the others touch sensativity is probably best set from the keyboard itself.
However in sx3 when you click on the midi part.
across the bottom of the screen is the velocity section.
you could select all the notes in the part and set the velocitys from there.
Why do you want to do this ?

heres a screenshot of the key editor in sx3
the arrow points to the velocity bar.
if needs be you can drag the pencil tool across the velocity bars to set them manually .

Attachments

• sx velocity.jpg
    sx velocity.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 411
MidiModifiers.PNG

Use the midi modifiers section on the midi channel. You can use Velocity Shift or Velocity Compress to do what you want. Just put 128 in Velocity Shift and 128 will be added to the velocity of every note - effectively doing what you want...

what I needed is for it to be in real time while recording like what "chuckduffy" suggested. that's what I used for now.
I still want somewhere I can just switch it off for all channels at once. too bad my keyboard doesn't have such a switch and cubase doesn't have that either.

as for why I need it: for example when you play drums you sometimes want every hit to sound at the same volume, and it's hard to hit the key at the same strength every time, so you get one very low volume snare and the next with high volume..... it doesn't sound good... so this is kinda a solution

for piano and other instruments when it's more about feel and less about accuracy - you use the velocity sensitivity again

i draw the notes (drum hits in with the mouse and then adjust the velocitys as needed like i showed you above to make it sound less robotic and more human.. but i see where your coming from
i hope this helped

go to the midi file piano roll editor thingy ma bob, press apple + a (ctrl +a on windows), go to midi, functions, velocity and set it there, (from memory)

Who knows - I got negative repped for giving the correct answer. When you want the velocity modified consistently in realtime as you play - you gotta use the midi modifiers - the piano roll is not an option. I like the midi compressor modifier for drums - usually use a 2/1 on my kit using AD for best results.

Who knows - I got negative repped for giving the correct answer.
Seriously? By whom?! Let's get 'em! :spank:

Your post even preemptively addressed what the next post said your post didn't address by addressing it ahead of time...lol. Clairvoyance de'Duffy!

Seriously? By whom?! Let's get 'em! :spank:

Your post even preemptively addressed what the next post said your post didn't address by addressing it ahead of time...lol. Clairvoyance de'Duffy!

Oh - it doesn't matter :-) 'Clairvoyance ' - A lot of what I do in my job is figuring out what people really mean :-)

Back