Help with my keyboard

d_squad54

I am using a Yamaha Paul Williams Keyboard with the MIDI cables hooked up to a Tascam USB-122 which is plugged into my computer via USB. When I go to midi in using the program Cubase. The only thing picked up is the keys that are being played. (example, when I play something using the sustain peddle, the program does not read that and it just records how long the keys are being held and nothing the full sound sustained) Has any one encountered this problem or now how to solve it.

Last edited:
Your PSR9000 uses continuous controller (cc) messages to transmit the information from the sustain pedal. This is the way all midi keyboards work, but since yours has an internal sequencer you may need to change one of the preset midi templates found on page 150 of the manual. The 'Master KBD1' setting looks like the one you should be using.

The cc in question is cc 66, and if you're just using the PSR9000 without any other midi modules Cubase may well be recording it just fine, but your keyboard is not in the proper mode to receive and translate sustain information. Changing the midi template may put it in the right mode. Post again if that doesn't work.

Here are links to three good articles on midi basics - part one and part two and part three. Parts one and two may be a little too basic for you, but part three is a very good explanation of midi messages including continuous controllers. There are two more installments in the series that may be of interest to you also...

Thanks alot buddy. I appreciate the time you take to help. Take it easy, i will let you know how things work out.

I forgot to ask, what manual are you talking about? If it is the one that comes with Cubase I didnt get that because the program came with my Interface I bought.

Not sure if that manual works for my keyboard. Couldnt seem to match anything up. I am getting a little annoyed by this. All I want to do is record music. Isnt there just a simple program that allows me to record MIDI, Audio, and be able to add some reverb, echo what not. Just something basic that is dependable. Or maybe I will just have to figure this out. I have so much music ready to be recorded.

You may find Tracktion easier than Cubase. Download the demo here and give it a try.

How many PSR9000's (also called the 'Paul Williams Keyboard') could Yamaha have made? If that manual is not the right one or is not helping you, go to the Yamaha web site and download the right one...

Thanks for the help bro, this is all new to me but is getting easier. By the way, when I hit the Sustain peddle on my Keyboard, the MIDI light lights up on my interface. So I think it has something to do with the program, wouldnt you say so?

Nope, sustain is an actual midi msg. It may be set to different things depending on the keyboard (this is true for novation controllers)

Back