Having USB MIDI Controller and USB MIDI Sound Module Linked as Windows Starts

Frankaupolis

Hello MIDI community!

This is my first post! 8~D

So I tried to be very precise in the title. What I would like to know is: is it possible, as soon as Windows (7, x64) has finished loading up, to have my physical USB MIDI controller operate/communicate with/control my physical USB MIDI sound module? I assume this would be done with a background service. If so, does one exist? And if not, do I have an option?

I know I can have my controller operate my sound module in 2 steps... but still, I'd like to eliminate that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

8~)

Well, I am no much of a MIDI guy... but...

Please define what your exact issue is with the devices you are using. What are they? That would be your first step in being precise. :)

As Jim stated, more info. The word MIDI controller means a lot these days. I have a keyboard MIDI controller and I have a APC40 MIDI controller. There are mixers that use MIDI as a communication device.

I would assume it is a keyboard. I've not seen how USB "daisy chains" for MIDI (direct from keyboard to sound module). What normally happens in a DAW setting, the DAW would route the signals, I am sure there is an OS service for MIDI, but usually the interface driver handles that part. If you set your controller to a channel (we will say 1) and set your module to 1, it should relay the information.

All of this is just theoretical BS until we know your equipment.

Oh yes. My controller is an M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, and my sound module is a Roland SonicCell.
The magic word here is "automatic". I'd like to start up Windows, and simply play my Axiom (thus my SonicCell would respond "automatically").

Since they are both connected to my computer via USB, the connection between the 2 isn't automatic. The simplest way I know how to make them "talk" together is to open (execute) my SonicCell Editor (in Windows), go to "MIDI Setup", and assign the Axiom to the SonicCell. It's very simple I know, but I'd like to ultimately bypass those steps.

I assume there would have to be a Windows background service/program (that boots-up with Windows) linking both internal USB MIDI ports together. But it's just an assumption, based on the knowledge that I presently have... There might be another way... but IF the option of a background service/program exists, it would very well suite my need.

The option of connecting a physical MIDI cable between my 2 components is no good to me (I have another MIDI controller for that: another Axiom 61, but without the Pro. So the physical MIDI In port on my SonicCell is already taken).

Thanks for your help guys!
Cheers 8~)

Last edited:
Looks like your unit will support that in the form of USB host. There is also this little plug called DIN MIDI Out (from your controller) to MIDI In to your sound module. That has worked for 30 years. No computer need as long as your equipment has power.

Looks like your unit will support that in the form of USB host. There is also this little plug called DIN MIDI Out (from your controller) to MIDI In to your sound module. That has worked for 30 years. No computer need as long as your equipment has power.

I think the OP is saying DM that he does not have a spare MIDI input port? But you are right, the simplest solution is a hardware one and just needs a tin, 3 DIN sockets and a DPDT switch.

These are the sort of things studio bods used to knock up to solve problems whilst the "Artist" was waking/sobering up....Why they were called Recording ENGINEERS.

My understanding of computers is deeply, deeply limited but I think all MIDI setting are in the real of the DAW software and Windows wants nothing to do with them! Could be wrong tho' and someone might be able to write a "scrip"? NO! Idea what that is either, just heard our IT man say it once.

I DO know however that you can set USB power on a PC to be present even when the machine is off so the kit could run without firing up said PC.
If on the other hand the keyboards are powered by a wall rat the switch box could use a relay and thus whichever keyboard was powered up, that one would talk to the module.

We have lost a lot of ingenuity over the last 3 decades.

Just thought. OP, google for "MIDI OX" . Beyond me but it might do what you want.

Dave.

Dave, yes you can set the power to be on even when the PC is off (power pass through if you will), but I don't think it will act as an active hub, which would be required. Technically, in this case, I am thinking the PC has to do nothing other than pass data back and forth (assuming a simple data routing). The two machines (controller/sound module) just needs to get data from one to the other.

I also am thinking the OP may not even consider the MIDI connections, being focused on the USB connectors. That was why I brought it up. If each unit has power, then a PC is not required, it is a simple MIDI hook up. Or as read on the sound modules spec, connect straight from controller to sound module and let the sound module "host".

Dave, yes you can set the power to be on even when the PC is off (power pass through if you will), but I don't think it will act as an active hub, which would be required. Technically, in this case, I am thinking the PC has to do nothing other than pass data back and forth (assuming a simple data routing). The two machines (controller/sound module) just needs to get data from one to the other.

I also am thinking the OP may not even consider the MIDI connections, being focused on the USB connectors. That was why I brought it up. If each unit has power, then a PC is not required, it is a simple MIDI hook up. Or as read on the sound modules spec, connect straight from controller to sound module and let the sound module "host".

Well he said, "The option of connecting a physical MIDI cable between my 2 components is no good to me (I have another MIDI controller for that: another Axiom 61, but without the Pro. So the physical MIDI In port on my SonicCell is already taken). " So that tells me he is already aware of and using a DIN link from one keyboard to the module?

My point was that he merely need to switch the MIDI input between the two controllers.
I did not mean anything clever could be done with USB power! Just that it can remain on to power MIDI devices, if indeed they ARE so powered.

Dave.

Or daisy chain his MIDI. Anyway, both units have or can have external power supplies, and without deeper investigation looks like the sound module can receive MIDI messages without a PC host. I would then conclude, a PC is not required.

@OP if you simply want to play, forget the computer, plug the controller to the sound module (MIDI or USB there is a switch on top that lets you select where the MIDI signal is coming from), either plug in headphones or speakers and play. The sound module looks to be a stand alone unit and has additional features of interfacing with a computer. So it is simply a matter of plugging one straight to the other.

Hey guys,

so finally MIDI OX works like a charm! 8~D

It connects my internal USB MIDI ports together without having to open the Great Big DAW... seriously, it's exactly the small little program I was looking for. Thanks ecc83 ! 8~)

I set it up so that it starts automatically with Windows, and as a nice little bonus I found a way so that it starts Minimized (8~D), and since it sits right there as a tray icon when Minimized... hey... (I don't have a window do deal with)... I couldn't ask for better.

Thanks to DM and Jimmy also for their help/suggestions!

Big Cheers from Mtl !

Back