General Midi Question.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I can't quite figure out the diagram, and there are some bits that I'm not sure you really want.

I presume the stand-alone is a VST on a Windows 7 computer. I also presume that you are splitting your keyboard's keyboard so that the left hand goes via midi channel 1 to the TG500, and the right hand goes via midi channel 2 through the TG500 and into the interface to drive the violin on the PC.

The midi paths you've show should allow that to work, so long as you can control which midi channel each device receives.

However, I'm not sure why you are going from your PC's line out to the amp. You will get better results by directing the output via USB to the Roland. All audio, then, goes through the Roland.

At the moment you show audio output from TG500 going to Roland via the keyboard. Unless you are using the keyboard's sounds, you can go direct from TG500 to Roland. Simultaneously you can go from PC to Roland via USB. You then just need to feed the output of the Roland to the amp.

Having said that, I'm not sure what your objective is. Is this for playing live? Or for recording? Or for what? That information would help.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I have things plugged into strange places is because I really do not know what I am doing. However I have been successful in getting the signal that I want from the TG500, but I also want the violin from the standalone on the Windows 7PC. It was suggested I purchased Reaper and the Quad Capture and someone on Facebook suggested I connect it all up in this manner.

Output from the PC is so I can hear the results of the recording on one input on my amp and the line out from the quad goes to another input on the amp so I can monitor whilst recording. I am using Sony Audio Studio because I cannot get my head around Reaper.

Line out from the keyboard goes to the line in on the quad. (there is no USB on this old keyboard)

So in brief channel 1 is on the lower section of the keyboard and TG500 only at present. I can set the upper section right hand to channel 2 but what then?

The end result is to supplement the bass strings (left hand) with the tg500 which is working now, but i'm buggered if I can work out how to get the violin on the standalone Miroslav to play in the upper (right hand) to supplement my solo piano and strings sound.

If you listen to Track 5 on 'The Changing Years' on that website where the diagram is you will get a feel for where I am coming from maybe.

I only play live... have never multitracked.

Sorry if this is unclear but I just want to produce one more album before the arthritis in my hands gets any worse. I am 72!

I listened to bits of a couple of tracks. I enjoyed the tranquility and ambience.

I think there is scope for simplifying your set up, and that should make things a bit easier, specially if you are recording.

However, it does involve Reaper, so getting your head around that would be handy. Fortunately, Reaper is not that hard to master.

Firstly the connections:

1 midi out of keyboard into midi in of Roland interface.

2 midi out of interface into TG500

3 audio out of TG500 into line in on interface

4 audio out of interface into amplifier

5 USB from interface into computer.

I don't know if you are using any of the Roland E70's internal sounds. If you are, that adds another layer of complexity, but no big deal.
You can do what it looks like you've been doing, in which case:

3a audio out of TG500 into line in on E70
3b audio out of E70 into interface

Forget the line out of the computer into the amp. The way you get what's being recorded to the amp is computer > USB > interface, and from the interface's audio into the amp (step 4 above)

Secondly, recording:

I'm assuming you've got Reaper, seeing as you noted you couldn't get your head round it.

1 Open up Reaper
2 Go to Options / Preferences / Audio / Device and select the Roland capture for input AND output
3 Go to Options / Preferences / Audio / Midi devices and make sure the Roland capture is enabled for midi input and output.

The next steps set up Reaper for the Miroslav and violin

4 Create a new track (CTRL T).
5 Click on FX. This will bring up a dialog box. Click on VSTi and with luck you will see the Miroslav listed. Click on this, then on OK.
6 Click on the red button to arm the track for recording
7 Click on the down arrow where it shows the input, select "Input: MIDI", select the Roland MIDI, select channel 2.
8 Click on the little arrow below FX to enable monitoring.

Now for the midi and audio from the TG500

9 Create a new track
10 Click on the down arrow where it shows the input, select "Input: MIDI", select the Roland MIDI, select channel 1.
11 Click on I/O at the right of where you put the track name. Click on the down arrow under "Midi hardware output" and select the Roland midi. Keep the setting "Send to original channels".
12 Click on the red button to arm the track for recording

What we are doing above is grabbing the midi from the keyboard, then sending channel 2 midi back out to the TG500. Now we need to capture the audio from the TG500.

13 Create a new track
14 Click on the down arrow where it shows the input, select "Input: Stereo", select Roland audio channels 1 and 2 (or left and right, whatever it has).
15 Click on the red button to arm the track for recording

On the Roland interface, set the 'Mix' knob about half way between 'Playback' and 'Input".

With luck, if you play the keyboard, you should be able to hear both the RG500 and the Miroslav, each doing their own thing.

If you now hit Record, you will start recording three tracks. The first will be the midi for the Miroslav, the second will be the midi for the RG500, and the third will be the audio from RG500.

When you stop and playback, the recorded midi on the first track will play the Miroslav, the second will play the RG500, but you don't necessarily need this so you could mute it. The third will play the RG500's recorded audio.

This may seem complicated, but there are benefits. If you have made a mistake in playing, you can edit the MIDI and correct it.

So I am not sure how helpful this. It maybe more than you want to deal with at the moment.

MIDI, select channel 1.

Just talking MIDI, analog sounds from keyboard is a separate topics. Looks like your connections should work fine. Here is going to be the issue. The VST can receive multiple channels. If you look at the module, you will see three sound packs (it has a place to list up to 16 I think) on a channel (say channel two) signals from channel two trigger all of those sounds. You can add other modules and have another channel drive those sounds. That VST acts like a MIDI module interface.

When you're in Reaper, you will have to set the track receive the notes from a channel, you will need in the case you have, two tracks, one for channel that will drive the orchestra, then another track for the notes/channel for the violin.

This sounds complex but it isn't. Just take a little time and understand you are recording each track to a MIDI channel and each channel is driving a VST sound.

Hope I helped and not confused.

I am flabbergasted at the detail and trouble that you have gone to for me. It looks as if my tomorrow is organized. I will follow your directions to the letter. Thank you so much. I must be late at night over there. I will keep you informed of my progress

Don't let it overwhelm you, just work with it until you get the jest of it. MIDI is an old technology and very simple. But you have to understand how it works to get the full use of it. But for the short term, make sure your DAW MIDI tracks receive channel is set for the notes you want to record for that track (left keyboard channel one/track 1, right keyboard channel two/track 2). Then make sure your keyboard is matching those channels. Once you get that working the way you want, then driving the VST becomes easier.

But get the recording working first. I suggest experiment before you get too far to make sure your DAW is capturing what you intend. For most people, everyone uses MIDI all channels, but in your case, you will need to be channel specific for each track. Once recorded you can then work on the VST to be driven. There are a few options at your disposal. But first things first.

First problem: "Click on VSTi and with luck you will see the Miroslav listed" No luck, not listed. Might install Reaper again?

First problem: "Click on VSTi and with luck you will see the Miroslav listed" No luck, not listed. Might install Reaper again?

No, no need to re-install Reaper.

VSTis come in a variety of formats and are stored in a variety of places.

If your luck is out, you will only have a stand-alone VSTi, rather than one that is also a plug in.

Try this:

In Reaper, go to Options / Preferences / Plug ins / VST

Click on 're-scan'

With luck, Reaper will find a DLL file for the Miroslav.

On the other hand, you might need to search for the DLL file for Miroslav and add the folder in which it is located to the VST plug in paths on that VST dialog box.

Edit: I've discovered that the vst DLL for Miroslav is: PhilharmonikCE.dll

Find the folder in which this DLL resides and add it to the VST plug in path

Last edited:
Have completed your instructions to the letter, so we are getting somewhere, however...

1. Could not find PhilharmonikCE.dll but found Philharmonik.dll, plus on top of Miroslav interface it says Philharmonik(x86 bridged)

2. When I press i/o it says no output for both track one and two, plus the VU meters on track one are not registering

3. But we must be getting somewhere as I can play the keyboard, hear the keyboard sounds plus the TG500, plus (something) but not the violin accompanying the piano. If I switch on upper strings on the keyboard no worries, but still no violin. The violin plays fine with the mouse on the interface!! But depressing the keyboard does not show a response on the Miroslav keyboard. I have Miroslav and the keyboard set to channel 2 for the violin.

Big progress for me however and I am so grateful. Am wondering if Miroslav has a problem with Reaper as I noticed several comments to that effect on other forums in the past. I have Garritan Personal Orchestra from way back in the XP days and am wondering whether to instal that again as they also have good violins but my ears can hear the loop.

I have spare cash if I need to download the ("If your luck is out, you will only have a stand-alone VSTi, rather than one that is also a plug in".) plug in?

Big thanks to you.

okay, so it seems that most of the stuff is going ok, but still no violin.

I did a bit of searching as well, and found that some people had problems with Miroslav and Reaper, and others didn't.

Let's try anything to see if we get something to respond on midi channel 2.

If you have set up a track in Reaper with an input of midi channel 2, when you play the right hand of the keyboard you should see your keystrokes as a thin red bar on the level meter of the track. If you don't see this happening, the midi is not getting through to the PC. You may need to look at the keyboard to make sure that that half of the keyboard is in fact being output to midi 2.

If you are seeing the thin red bar on your key strokes, then Reaper is getting the midi ok. You would probably notice this on the track you've set up for the RG500 which is picking up Midi 1.

When you set the midi input for the track with Miroslav on it, try selecting Input: MIDI / All MIDI inputs / Channel 2. It's possible you may have selected Input: MIDI / virtual MIDI keyboard / Channel 2

I don't know if you have any other VSTis, but if you do, load anything into the track instead of Miroslav and see if you can get that to sound. If you can, then you can be reasonably certain that it's Miroslav being cranky and not your set up.

Er,

If you want the MIDI notes on channel 2 from the E70 sent through the TG500 shouldn't you be using the 'thru' on the TG to the 'in' on the Roland quad capture? The notes don't go 'in' to 'out', but 'in' to 'thru'.

Try that.
John.

Back