floppy disc insanity

OK....let me reiterate....the discs are read just fine by the controller on the Disklavier and it will play wonderfully reading from the discs....when I remove the disc from the controller and plug it into my external Yamaha (a) disc drive THEN I get the popup that the disc needs to be formatted....ergo, the discs have not gone bad....so I wrote to Yamaha.....btw Yamaha will answer via phone call and email within 24 hrs.....anyway I explained what was happening and he thought for a while and replied "hhmmmmm, that's weird".....he did tell me how to get the MIDI files from the controller into Cubase so.....once I do that I'm starting over with brand new discs I can save them....The reason I'm makingsuch a fuss over this is because one of the discs is suppossed to be a digital copy taken from a reproducing piano roll of Gershwin playing Gershwin

OK, thanks for clarifying.
If you were shown a way to get the midi into cubase then you're saved.
Do this ^ and save as .mid then call that you're backup. Backup the backup because why not.

This page has a tool which should allow you to convert midi to the appropriate format for the disklavier. Do that.
Now take a new blank floppy disc, format it as (i guess) fat32, copy the disklavier "midi" file to it and try it in the piano.

If all of the above works and the disc is readable why both piano and computer, then you've got yourself a workaround. :)

Sterenamaroo, that makes the most sense so far.....but, thanks to everybody....it ain't easy being incompetent!!!
mark

OK....let me reiterate....the discs are read just fine by the controller on the Disklavier and it will play wonderfully reading from the discs....when I remove the disc from the controller and plug it into my external Yamaha (a) disc drive THEN I get the popup that the disc needs to be formatted....ergo, the discs have not gone bad....so I wrote to Yamaha.....btw Yamaha will answer via phone call and email within 24 hrs.....anyway I explained what was happening and he thought for a while and replied "hhmmmmm, that's weird".....he did tell me how to get the MIDI files from the controller into Cubase so.....once I do that I'm starting over with brand new discs I can save them....The reason I'm makingsuch a fuss over this is because one of the discs is suppossed to be a digital copy taken from a reproducing piano roll of Gershwin playing Gershwin
glad to hear Yamaha got right back to you.
I've always found them to be a very professional company and this kinda confirms it.

I see from the manual that the piano has MIDI out so, as someone else said, if the files can be played on that, copy them over in real time to a PC.

Going to be a time consuming PITA but once it is done, it's done.

Dave.

OK, I'm starting to see my way through the fog now thanks to all y'all....re: Yamaha...since most of my stuff is Yamaha and since I'm such a DA, I'm pretty quick to contact them and they have always responded via phone and email within 24 hrs...confirmation enough of their commitment to customer satisfaction....and yes, Dave, it will be a major PITA but, at lwast I've found a way out of the quagmire.... Yeeee Haaaaaa!!!.....thanks again
mark

Back