e-mu midi to usb cable

Sonicman

Good evening:

I'm new around these parts. I just started computer recording. I have Cakewalk Sonar 7 XL. I want to record my drums in midi for the first track. I purchased a E-Mu Midi cable with usb. I'm having problems with it. I went to the Manufacture site and downloaded a patch so that it would work with good ole Windows Vista. I guess my question is how do I know that the midi cable is no good or maybe it is my drums(RolandTD-12)?

Thanks

Sounds like the age-old problem of not understanding the difference between Midi and Audio. Audio is the sound, Midi is the instruction set. So, you use your new midi cable to connect your Roland to your computer and now your computer can tell your Roland what to play. You then need a way to get the sounds from your Roland back into your computer. That doesn't happen with midi cables. You need to connect from the Audio Outs of your Roland to an A/D interface on your computer.

If you equate this to a person playing the drums... Midi is the instruction set which tells the drummer what drum to hit and how hard. Audio is the sound the drum makes when it is hit.

Back