Do I reaaally need a separate MIDI keyboard?

emederos

So I have a Yamaha DGX-650 digital piano. The other day I connected it, via USB to Logic and voila, I have a MIDI controller!

My questions is: seeing some of those MIDI keyboards, I see all the sliders, pads, and knobs. Do I really need something like that? Do they make the music production process that much simpler, or can I accomplish what they do with my DGX-650 plugged into my DAW and manipulating the plugins there?

Thanks for your input :)

You may not have the versatility of a midi controller, but it will work just fine.

To be able to control stuff from the Yamaha you will need to now how to set up and use its midi commands.

+1.
Sliders, knobs, and pads are useful for real time control of parameters, whether that's controlling a synth or automating a plugin.
Whether or not you need those depends on what you plan to do.

I have a CLP840 which has even fewer functions than yours. It suits me, though, 'cos I just want 88 keys and 2 pedals. ;)

I have four midi controllers ( :o ) and I only use the controls on one of them as its tied to arturia software. Most budget controllers have little feel anyway and you'll have a better keybed in your Yamaha. Also the quality of pads on my axiom gen 2 are rubbish.

transport controls are handy though if you have an iphone/ipad you dont even need that

I bought a MIDI Controller just because the latency was too much with the Yamaha 'board that I had. It took like 1-2 seconds just for the data to reach my PC :mad:. When I got it I realized there was no latency and I could hear what I play via the PC with all the soundfx in realtime. That was cool. :cool:

I went for a cheap Samson Graphite but if you want cheaper you can try the Samson Carbon 49 .. big keys, 4 octaves, and you can use the keys as pads in a pinch. Great unbiased review here for the Carbon and here for the Graphite.

no you don't need one if you have that keyboard. you can figure out ways to do everything else.

with the Yamaha 'board that I had. It took like 1-2 seconds just for the data to reach my PC

Wow, that shouldn't have been the case. What model was it, how were you connecting it to the computer (i.e., MIDI-to-USB adapter or straight USB-MIDI), were you using the right driver for it, and did you buy any additional hardware (e.g., an audio interface with a sound card and ASIO driver) or install any new software (e.g., a DAW that came bundled for free with the MIDI controller) or make any changes on the computer (e.g., reducing buffer sizes) between when you tried using the Yamaha keyboard and when you got the MIDI controller?

Wow, that shouldn't have been the case. What model was it, how were you connecting it to the computer (i.e., MIDI-to-USB adapter or straight USB-MIDI), were you using the right driver for it, and did you buy any additional hardware (e.g., an audio interface with a sound card and ASIO driver) or install any new software (e.g., a DAW that came bundled for free with the MIDI controller) or make any changes on the computer (e.g., reducing buffer sizes) between when you tried using the Yamaha keyboard and when you got the MIDI controller?

I'm guessing that there was no inherent problem in midi from keyboard to computer. I'm putting my money on the latency arising from the sound generation (like maybe OP was using ms wavetable or something).

Back